Send us your stories. No postage required.
Interested in telling a short, short story? Your story may be fiction or non-fiction, and the style and tone are your choice, of course. Whatever idea your story revolves around – a shoe left on a bench, a heart broken on a beach, a bite mark on an ankle – aim for evocative story-telling that takes your reader on a swift, concise journey. Be sure to provide an image that compliments your story. You may create your own image (an illustration or photo) or use an image within the public domain. The tie between your image and your story may be as strong or subtle as you wish.
Langara's English Department is pleased to announce the winning entries of the 2018 Postcard Story Contest.
First Place: "The Last Snowfall" by Mary Zhu
Second Place: "The Booth" by Elizabeth Tirkalas
Honourable Mention: "Delilah" by Rachael Barnett
Thanks to all who submitted stories and images to the contest; as usual, the entries were all well crafted, unique and engaging.
Contest rules and guidelines:
- Any currently enrolled Langara student can enter.
- Your submission must be original and unpublished.
- Write a 250-word “postcard story” and provide an image that compliments your story.
- Print your story on regular sized (8.5x11) paper; double space and use 12-point font.
- On a separate cover letter, put your name, phone number, email address and Langara ID. Include your story’s word count.
- Drop your submission off at A302c (Caroline Harvey’s office) or e-mail submissions (Word file, please) to email@example.com. Manuscripts and images will not be returned.
Stay tuned for 2019 contest details!
First place: $100
Second place: $50 Both winners will be featured in various Langara-based media publications, including W49th, Langara’s magazine of award-winning student writing.