Be Provocative. Write Now.
W49 Magazine features the very best creative nonfiction, short stories and poetry submitted to the annual Langara College Writing Contest by current and former Langara students. All winning entries are printed in the magazine along with a wide range of "honourable mentions."
W49 Magazine is edited and administered by the Department of English. Every year, the design, illustration and layout of the magazine is the responsibility of a student in the Publishing Program.
The Langara Writing Contest is now open.
The contest is open to all Langara students, past and present. Students may submit entries in any or all of the following three genres. The deadline for submissions is April 20, 2018. See below for submission guidelines. Two prizes ($100 for 1st place and $50 for 2nd place) will be awarded for each genre:
- short fiction/graphic short fiction
- creative non-fiction/commentary
In addition to the prize-winners, many of the deserving entries will be published in the 20th issue of W49 Magazine, which will be released in September 2018, and which will be available at the Langara Bookstore. Back-issues of W49 are available as free PDFs in the sidebar to the right.
Congratulations to the Winners of the 19th Annual Langara Writing Contest. Many thanks to all who submitted!
- 1st: “I Stole Your Arm” – Meighan Donaldson
- 2nd: “Dysphoria” – Vincent Chorabik
- “Cornu Cutaneum” – Yukiko Takahashi-Lai
- “Contaminator” – Simon Lam
- 1st: “The Day of the Dogs” – Christopher Nassaire
- 2nd: “Not a Heterosexual Mating Theory” – Jessica Poon
- “The Little Monster” – Jan Tse
- “Chatterbox” – Yukiko Takahashi-Lai
- 1st: “The Digger and His God” – Wyatt Connelly
- 2nd: “Raising the New World” – Jeremy Chu
- “Vancouver Special” & “Over the Rockies” – “Duncan Parizeau
- “Paper” – Lucas Walkowicz
- “Rattenkonig” – Yukiko Takahashi-Lai
1. A single entry may include up to 5 poems, one short story AND one creative non-fiction work not longer than 2,000 words
2. Entries must be type-written and double spaced (do not staple submissions and do not put your name on the pages of your manuscript—they are blindly vetted)
3. Entries must be accompanied by a cover sheet identifying your name, Langara student number, phone numbers, mailing address, email, and the genre of work you submitted
4. Each single entry must be accompanied by a $5.00 entry fee (cash is fine, but cheques are preferred). Make your cheque payable to “Langara College”
5. Deadline for submission is April 20, 2018.
W49 Magazine will notify all entrants after their manuscripts have been adjudicated by June 2018. Those wishing their material returned after the contest must include a self-addressed, self-stamped envelope with the entry. All entrants will receive copies of the magazine at no cost.
Please direct all submissions and/or enquiries to:
Guy Wilkinson (Room 303b) English Department
Langara College, 100 W 49th Ave., Vancouver, BC V5Y 2Z6
604.323.5339 | firstname.lastname@example.org