If you have experienced sexual assault, harassment, or violence, know that there are many options available to you. College community members may choose to disclose to someone on campus about their experiences or concerns around sexualized violence. The purpose of a disclosure is to obtain support, guidance, information and/or referral.

Know that you are not alone. There are resources on campus to help you.

Remember: Whatever you decide to do is your choice. You can choose one, all, or none of these options. Do what feels right for you.

Tell someone (Disclosure)

Telling someone you trust about what happened can help you feel validated and can get you the support, guidance, and referral if you need them. Telling someone doesn't mean you have to make a formal complaint. You may choose to disclose an incident of sexualized violence or misconduct to a friend, another student, or a trusted member of the College community. Below is a list of people who may be able to help you:  

Access On-Campus Resources

Students who want to discuss their experiences or concerns about sexualized violence can reach out to on-campus resources for support. There are many on-campus options for those students who may wish to recieve support or guidance. 

A full list of on-campus resources can be found on the Get Support page.

Students may choose to access off-campus resources. Off-campus resources may be able to provide dedicated support to some communities. Crisis lines and support centres can also provide anonymous support and support outside of regular campus hours. 

A list of recommended off-campus resources can be found on the Get Support page. 

Students struggling with the effects of sexualized violence or misconduct may request temporary academic considerations. Students are not required to submit a formal complaint with the college in order to receive considerations.

Academic considerations will vary from department to department depending on learning objectives and program structure. 

  • extended time on assignments
  • alternate exam arrangements
  • modified group work activities
  • late withdrawal or course deferral
  • work-from-home options
  • other modifications agreeable to both the student and the program or department

Students who require longer-term academic accommodation(s) due to ongoing physical or psychological factors are encouraged to contact Langara Accessibility Services. 

Students may seek advice in requesting temporary academic considerations from College support services such as:

Make a Formal Complaint

You may choose to make a formal complaint to request an investigation into your complaint. Students may request an investigation by contacting the staff at Student Conduct, Accountability & Support either in person (Room T205), on the phone (604.323.5867) or online.

If you request an investigation, you may be asked to share the following information:

  • Your name and contact information,
  • The respondent's name (see definition) and contact information, if known
  • A description of the incident(s) of sexualized violence or harassment
  • List of any witnesses to the incident and contact information 

Once a formal complaint has been made, the Office of Student Conduct, Accountability & Support will then work with you to discuss the next steps and assist with any safety concerns or academic consierations you may need while the investigation is ongoing. Know that you can withdraw from an investigation at any time by informing the Office.

If you wish, you can report allegations through the criminal justice system by contacting your local Police Department. You can call on your own, or you can ask a friend or a Langara employee to sit with you while you call if it makes you feel safer. The College will cooperate with any criminal investigation. 

If the sexual assault occurred within the last few days and you are in immediate danger you can call 911 to start the reporting process. If the sexual assault occurred awhile ago and you do not have immediate safety concerns, you can call the non-emergency number of the police detachment of the area in which the assault occurred (in Vancouver this number is (604) 717-3321)