Individuals who have experienced sexual violence or misconduct may choose to report their experience to the police in order to pursue criminal charges under the Criminal Code of Canada.

It is not guaranteed that the perpetrator will face charges or be found guilty, and it is the prosecutor’s choice as to whether a case will proceed. If you report the assault, the police will take your statement, investigate the matter and determine if there is enough evidence to lay charges. The police and the Crown will require your participation in what may become a public process. If the matter proceeds to court, you may be called to testify.

College Community members who wish to report to an incident to the police may contact the following college departments for assistance:

  • Student Conduct, Accountability and Support (support for students)
  • People and Culture (support for faculty and staff)
  • Manager, Health and Safety

Third-party reporting is an option for individuals who want to alert the police to an incident of sexualized violence, but who wish to remain anonymous. According to the Government of British Columbia:

First, you tell a community-based victim service program the details of the crime. The program is the third party. They work with the police without giving them your personal information. Once the third party files the report on your behalf, police evaluate the facts, start an investigation, and take other actions that are appropriate, such as patrolling the area where the crime occurred.

This way of reporting protects your identity and also allows police to get the information they need. 

Local community-based services that may act as a third-party reporter include:

  • VictimLinkBC (1.800.563.0808)
  • SALAL (604.255.6344 | 1.877.392.7583)

You may decide to contact a lawyer, in order to receive specific advice. Lawyers can explain your legal options when reporting your experience of sexual violence. Depending on where you live, and whether you qualify, you may be able to speak to a lawyer for free, or at a discount, through Legal Aid, a community legal clinic, or a women’s organization.

Here are some helpful resources, if you want to understand your legal options: