At Langara Child Development Centre we value and respect each child as a unique individual. Our goal in guiding children's behaviour is to ensure their safety and to assist them in developing self-confidence, self-esteem, self-control, self-discipline and sensitivity in their interactions with others.
Our guidance strategies include:
- Modeling positive behaviour
- Stating clear limits and involving children in setting those limits
- Having appropriate expectations for children according to their development
- Teaching children to express their feelings in appropriate ways
- Teaching children problem-solving and conflict resolution skills and
- Encouraging them to use those skills with their peers
- Respecting and reflecting children's feelings
- Allowing children to experience natural and logical consequences to their behaviour
If a child has persistent behavioural problems, staff will use a variety of guidance strategies, depending on the individual needs of the child. These strategies may include a behaviour management program. Families will be consulted if a child has persistent behavioural problems in the centre that require a consistent systematic approach. Extra support can be accessed for children with emotional and behavioural challenges if families and staff wish it.