If you are an Indigenous student and are thinking about how to finance your education, you might want to consider band funding. Depending on your band, sponsorship can cover some costs and not others.

One common type of sponsorship is band funding for tuition, also known as third-party billing, where your band office provides your tuition and fee payments directly to Langara College through Registrar and Enrolment Services.

If you are considering band sponsorship, always be aware of the deadlines for your band office and Langara College Registrar and Enrolment Services. If you are already receiving band sponsorship, it is important to make sure you understand the type of sponsorship you are receiving and any restrictions on it.

Steps for receiving band sponsorship:

  • Arrange for and submit a band sponsorship application (PDF). An accompanying letter outlining educational/career goals is recommended.
  • Forward Langara's Letter of Acceptance to your Band immediately upon receipt.
  • Arrange to have Band/Tribal Council mail or fax your sponsorship letter to the Student Accounts Department, Langara College, 100 West 49 Ave., Vancouver, BC, V5Y 2Z6, fax number 604.323.5555.
  • Acquire the "Band Post Secondary Education Policy" from your Band office in order to ensure that you know your responsibilities.

Every semester, it is your responsibility to:

  • Ensure that your sponsorship letter for the upcoming semester is on file with the Langara College Student Accounts Department, Room B207.
  • After registration, send course registration confirmation to your band. You can print a copy of your course registration from your myLangara account.
  • At the end of every semester, send your transcript to your band.

Note: This is only a guide. Each Band or Tribal Council has different policies and guidelines.