This fall, the Co-op and Career Development Centre brings you Career Talks Presented by RBC Royal Bank – a series of virtual career panels that will feature experts from a variety of industries. Each panel will focus on a different theme including hiring trends, science & tech, business, and more.
The panels are open for all registered students, they are held on Zoom and free to attend.
Career Talks Schedule
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) panels include:
Tech Thursday: Data Science/Data Analytics Panel
Thursday, October 29 | 4:30 pm–6:00 pm | Register
Industry experts will speak to their careers in technology, finance, health, and business.
- Amazon – Brad Davis, PhD., Data Scientist, and Supply Chain Optimization
- Aurora Cannabis Inc. – Zaid Haddad, Data Scientist
- BCAA – Leroux Marais, Data Science Manager
- TELUS – Daisy Ya, Masters Information and Data Science, Marketing Intelligence Manager
- Unbounce – Thomas Levi, PhD., Director of Data Science
Tech Thursday: AI and Machine Learning
November 26, 2020 | 4:30 pm–6:00 pm | Register
- Amazon, Denver McNeney, MA, Phd in progress, Machine Learning Scientist
- Teck Resources Limited, Hessam Teimouri, PhD., Data Scientist
- Terramera,Costa Lambrinoudis, BSc., Machine Learning Team Lead
The University of British Columbia Berlinguette Research Group, Nina Taherimakhsousi, PhD., Machine Learning & Machine Vision Scientist
- XGen, Sam Rahbar, MCS., Artificial Intelligence Engineer
Business panels include:
Project Management Panel
Tuesday, November 3 | 6:30 pm–7:30 pm | Register
Industry experts will speak to their careers in technology, construction, finance, health, and business.
- Convergence Concepts Inc. – John Scheidegger, Project Manager (Langara Alumni)
- Fedex Express Canada – Barb Barbour, Project Manager, Construction and Transportation
- Langara College – Lawrence Carrington, Project Manager, Information Technology
- Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) – Danea Avey, Project Manager
- TELUS – Fred Haiderzada, PMP, Manager, Technology Strategy
Tuesday, November 17 | 2:30 pm–3:30 pm | Register
Industry experts will speak to accounting practices from large firms to small companies. CPABC will also be available to answer questions.
- Deloitte Canada, Justin Dhesi, CPA, Senior Associate, Audit & Assurance (Langara Alumni)
- KPMG – Casey Chung, CPA, Senior Accountant
- Loren Nancke CPA – Rachael Reddy, Senior Account Manager
- Nisga'a Lisims Government - Darrin McCormack, CPA, Deputy Director of Finance
- PwC – Maneisha Sandhu, CPA, Manager (Langara Alumni)
Wednesday, November 18 | 12:30 pm–1:30 pm | Register
Industry experts will speak to finance as a career in traditional banking, investment, insolvency, and actuary work.
- Bromwich+Smith - Par Zilka BCom, Licensed Insolvency Trustee
- Genus Capital Management Inc. – Margaret A. Lanthier, Partner and Portfolio Manager
- RBC Royal Bank – Sam Wong, Community Manager, North Richmond
- Scotiabank Commercial Banking, Hilary Thompson, Director & Group Lead
- Westcoast Actuaries Inc. – Stephen Cheng, Managing Director & Senior Consulting Actuary
Thursday, November 19 | 12:30 pm–1:30 pm | Register
Industry experts will speak to business operations, supply chain, and human resources.
- Bisset Fasteners Ltd.- Emal Habibi, Procurement & Supply Chain Specialist (Langara Alumni)
- City of Vancouver - Vania Tse, Business & Community Liaison for the Broadway Subway Project
- Richmond Olympic Oval - Andrew Clark, Senior Manager of Olympic Experiences
- Sherwin-Williams – Lisa Wong, City Manager, BC Metro District (Langara Alumni)
Tuesday, November 24 | 4:30 pm–5:30 pm | Register
Industry experts will speak to all aspects of marketing, advertising, and digital marketing.
- Colony Digital – Michael Tran, Head Of Marketing
- Out-Smarts Marketing Inc. – Mhairi Petrovic, Digital Marketing Strategist
- RBC Royal Bank – Sylvia Kerfoot, Regional Marketing Manager
- TELUS – Daniel Crough, SEO Performance Analyst, Technical Marketer, and Digital Marketing Strategist (Langara Alumni)
- Teradici – Ken Arnold, Senior Director Of Marketing
Industry Innovator Panel Talk with Langara Alumni
Monday, November 30 | 4:30 pm–5:30 pm | Register
Entrepreneurs who are also Langara Alumni will share their stories on starting a business and how they took an idea, a product, or service and created a business. Panelist questions will include: how they assess the need in the market, market research, balancing working on the idea and on the business, and how this complements the individual and their lifestyle.
- Drinkfill – Andy Chou, CEO (BBA Marketing Alumni 2012)
- Exvera Communications Inc. – Brittany Whitmore, Founder & CEO (BBA Marketing Alumni 2014)
- Key - Daniel Dubois, Co-Founder & President (Diploma Business Administration and Management 2012)
Kurent Designs, Joy Unaegbu, Founder and CEO (Photography 2010)
Past Career Talks events:
Human Resource Panel
Monday, September 28 | 10:30 am–12:00 pm
Industry experts will speak to the hiring process, resumes, cover letters, interviews, and networking. This is an opportunity to gain insights and tips that can help you align your career interests.
- BC Hydro – Melissa Andruff and Orlando Cerrato, Recruitment Partners
- City of Vancouver – Elan Polo, Recruiter (Langara Alumni)
- Government of Canada – Angela Foraaunet, Human Resources Advisor
- ICBC – Sandra Wu, Recruitment Specialist
- Modo – Bernice Paul, HR & Office Manager
- United Way of the Lower Mainland – Gabrielle Smith, Director of Human Resources
- Best Buy Canada – Kristen MacLellan, Director of Talent
- Rogers Communications – Hricha Thakur, Talent Acquisition Consultant
- RBC Royal Bank – Jeff Ollinger, Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition (Campus)
- WorkSafeBC – Milah Woo, Talent Acquisition Specialist (Campus Recruitment)
- BC Cancer – Carlos F. Uribe, PhD, MCCPM, Medical Imaging Physicist | PET Functional Imaging
- D-Wave Systems Inc. – Gaelen Marsden, PhD., Software Developer
- Lumerical Inc. – Ellen Schelew, PhD., Senior Solutions Engineer
- Salesforce – Naomi Galinski, PhD, Developer Writer/API Technical Writer (contract)
- University of British Columbia (UBC) – Corree Laule, PhD., MR Physicist, Associate Professor, ICORD Associate Director
- adMare BioInnovations – Tom Hsieh, PhD., Associate Scientist II, Medical Chemistry
- Barber & Co – Jamie Stanton, B.Sc. Chemistry, Cosmetic Chemist
- Havn Life - Alexzander Samuelsson, B.Sc. Chemistry, Cannabis and Natural Medicine
- Precision Nanosystems Inc. – Dr. Adam M. Crowe, PhD., Analytical Project Team Lead
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) – Karen Chan, B.Sc. Biochemistry, Forensic Alcohol Specialist, Toxicology Services Section
- City of Surrey – Akber Pabani, BASc., Geological/Mining Engineer and Project Engineer Design and Construction
- Metro Vancouver – Andrew Ling, BASc., Civil Engineer and Senior Project Engineer
- McCue Engineering Contractors – Lynda Smithard, PEng., Environmental Engineer and Chief Operating Officer
- Translink – Derek Yau, BASc., Environmental Systems Engineer and Transportation Engineer
- BC Cancer – Daniel Lai, PhD., Senior Bioinformatics Scientist
- Diamond Head Consulting Ltd. – Cassandra Cummings, MSc., Biology, Environmental Planning, and Natural Resource Management
- Simon Fraser University – Erin E. Gill, PhD, Research Scientist | Bioinformatician & Data Scientist
- STEMCELL Technologies – Christine Genge, PhD., Biomedical Physiology, and Kinesiology
- Terramera – Amy Jancewicz, PhD., Cell and Molecular Biology
Industry experts and recruiters speak to careers in policing, fraud, parole, and other criminal justice careers.
- ACI Worldwide – Marc Trepanier, Principal Fraud Consultant
- Correctional Services Canada – Amanda Santiago, Parole Officer
- Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) – Tracey Watkins, Superintendent / Recruiter
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) – Cst. Binita Cieslar, Recruitment (Langara Alumni)
- Vancouver Police Department (VPD) – Det/Cst. Christian Olver, Recruitment (Langara Alumni)
- BC Cancer – Michelle Post RN MSN CON(C), Clinical Trials Nurse Coordinator
- Therapia Centre for Massage – Joseph Lattanzio, RMT
- Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) – Kasia Chrzanowska-Radanov, Recruitment Advisor
Employers are subject to change. Check this page for updates.
For any questions regarding Career Talks, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.