Finding a suitable international experience is challenging to set up logistically and financially. Many students, especially those from low-income, First Nations or the disability communities, would not consider a global internship for these reasons. This program will support students who might not have considered a global opportunity before and have this experience either online or in-person.
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents, registered at Langara College
- In good standing as defined and determined by Langara College
- 18 years of age or older
Note: International students are ineligible for GSO Program funding.
- 100 online internships open to all domestic students
- 16 in-person internships open to all domestic students from one of the three underrepresented groups (low-income, First Nations and students with a disability)
- 40 COIL-EX internships are for students who have been in a COIL VE course that has been selected for the COIL in-person extension option. Likely this will be open to four COIL courses to support 10 students each. Students will know if they are in a COIL course intending to do the COIL EX (GSO Program extension,) through their COIL instructors. Participation in this type of internship is by instructor invitation only.
- Recipients of Canada Student Grants, or similar non-repayable student financial assistance offered by provinces and territories, or
- Able to provide information to demonstrate their need for financial support to study or work abroad (information will be reviewed and verified by Financial Aid).
For in-person internships, trip costs vary according to the location of the host organization. This program is designed to anticipate most costs involved with student participation. However, there are exceptions to this rule and this funding will not cover personal spending (extra side trips, souvenirs, etc.)
Costs that are not covered:
- Souvenirs and leisure activities during your free time
- Personal spending money to cover basic expenses such as drinks, snacks, laundry, public transportation, and any meals not included in your program fee
2. For most destinations, the meals (3 per day) are included in the program fees. However, for destinations in which the meals are not included in the program fee, students may be responsible for their meals. The GSO funding and related financial supports can be used to cover the meal expenses in these cases. Please note that any extra meals or food expenses will be the responsibility of students.
Working part-time in the host country is likely not possible since the intent of the program is for students to fully experience the in-country experience. If students are doing virtual internships and the work expectations for the internship are being met, part-time work is a possibility.
The Langara GSO Program runs from Fall 2022–Spring 2025 and will review applications each semester. Deadline to apply for Spring 2023 is September 30th, 2022.
Sign up for an info session to learn more!