Entry to our Registered Massage Therapy program is highly competitive. Your complete application package, including all educational documents, must be received before the deadline. Include all of your post-secondary transcripts, if applicable. Applications open one year before the requested intake semester. The program intakes are in September and January. Please contact the Program Coordinator with any questions.
We are currently accepting applications for September 2019 and beyond. The application deadlines for domestic students are June 12, 2019 for September 2019 and October 16, 2018 for January 2020.
The application deadline for January 2019 has now passed, no more applications will be accepted for this intake.
Download our application form to begin your application.
Applicants must pay a non-refundable and non-transferable application fee of $100 CAD for domestic students and $155 for international students. Please call the CS Registration Office at 604.323.5322 to pay this fee.
Successful completion of high school, with preference given to applicants who have post-secondary education including successful completion of Anatomy and Physiology course from a recognized university or college.
1. Transcripts. Applicants must submit official educational documents to support program application. If the transcripts are in a language other than English, an official word-for-word English translation must be submitted in addition to the original transcript.
2. Complete an Introduction to Massage course. This is a mandatory course for the application package, and the preferred course is Langara’s course. Langara also accepts a course from other RMT schools with similar hours (at least 12 hours long). Provide documentation of successful completion. Course must be completed within 1.5 years of application date. See upcoming courses.
3. Visit to an RMT form. Students must experience a professional massage treatment session with an RMT of your choice. Please see the Visit to an RMT form for more details. The RMT must sign the form confirming that they have treated you. In addition to a massage, students must also ask at least the 3 questions on the form and write an essay on information they have received.
4. RMT Program Admission Essay Questions. Students must answer the RMT Program admission essay questions. Please answer questions completely in essay format. Please use 3-4 pages to complete the questions.
5. Professional Reference Letter. Provide a reference from someone who has known you for at least 5 years, and is not a family member. For consistency, a professional is considered to be anyone who has a BA or equivalent university or college degree. The reference must outline the context of the relationship and must be able to attest to your characteristics of perseverance and ability to deal with stressful situations.
6. English Proficiency. Students must demonstrate English-language proficiency in one of the following:
- TOEFL Paper Delivered Test with a total score of 92 or higher, and a minimum of 22 in Listening, 22 in Reading, and 22 in Writing
- TOEFL (Internet-based) with a total score of 92 or higher and a minimum of 22 in Listening, 22 in Reading, 22 in Speaking, and 22 in Writing
- IELTS Academic 7.0 with no band less than 6.5
- CAEL 70 overall with essay 65
- LPI (Language Proficiency Index) Level 5, essay 26
- IB English A1 or A2 (HL or SL) with a score of 4
- Advanced Placement: English Language & Composition or English Literature & Composition (score of 3)
- LET (Langara English Test) Level 3
- Successful completion of LEAP Level 8
- Successful completion of B.C. Grade 12 English or Communications 12 or equivalent with a combined grade of 70%
- Successful completion of post-secondary English or Communications course for which Langara awards transfer credit
- English Language & Composition with score of 3
- English Literature & Composition with score of 3
7. Study Permit (if applicable). International students applying from overseas are advised to check with the Canadian Embassy in their country as to the processing time for a Study Permit (formerly known as Student Authorization/Visa).
Once successful applicants have received an acceptance letter to the RMT Program, they will need to complete the additional two requirements within 30 days:
1. Completion of a two-day First-Aid course that includes CPR Level C with AED. CMTBC approved course providers include: Canadian Red Cross, Canadian Ski Patrol, Heart and Stroke Foundation, Lifesaving Society or St John Ambulance. Your certificate must be valid for three years from the date of your acceptance letter.
2. Criminal record check performed through the Ministry of Justice in Victoria, BC. Criminal record checks from local police departments or RCMP offices are not accepted. Your Criminal Record Check must be valid for at least three years from the date of your acceptance letter.
- Easiest: Complete the record check online via the BC Government website. You will require the Langara RMT program code: LSLJ62YGZ7.
- Must come to Langara if online check is not accepted: Download the paper copy of the BC Criminal Record Check Form. The relevant Langara ID number for the RMT Program is included on this form. Payment is accepted by credit card. Students must first come in to Langara and meet with one of the RMT Program Coordinators, with your ID, so that we can confirm your identity. Then Langara sends in the form and the Ministry of Justice in Victoria will contact you for payment.