Safeguarding your right to privacy:
Our employees follow a code of business conduct that requires the safeguarding and proper collection, use and disclosure of personal information. The College places strict controls on the protection and use of personal information within our systems and ensures that our employees are trained to respect your privacy at all times.
The Langara College Access to Information Policy spells out the commitments of the College and the rights of students regarding personal information.
What is personal information?
Personal information is recorded information about an identifiable individual other than workplace contact information. Student personal information may include your Langara student identification number, grades and course schedule as well as your name, address, email address and telephone number which the College stores electronically or on paper.
Collection and Use:
Langara College collects and maintains the information it receives as part of the student record under the authority of British Columbia’s College and Institute Act. The College complies with British Columbia’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act by:
- collecting personal information only for admission, registration, maintenance of your student record, and other purposes related to and necessary for College programs and activities.
- using personal information only for the purpose for which it was collected or for a use consistent with that purpose.
- collecting or using personal information for any other purpose only with your prior written consent.
In compliance with British Columbia’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Langara College:
- will disclose your personal information only for the same purpose as it was collected or for a use consistent with that purpose.
- may share the personal information you provide with the Ministry of Education to verify your British Columbia Personal Education Number (PEN) or to assign one to you upon application. The Ministry uses your personal information and PEN for statistical and research purposes.
- may share your personal information with College Advancement, Alumni Relations, and the Langara Students’ Union upon acceptance.
- will share your personal information for any other purpose only with your prior written consent.
The College may be required or authorized by law to disclose the information to another party in limited circumstances as outlined in section 33 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Langara College retains records of academic performance indefinitely. The College retains materials that support admission from one year after the first registration to five years after last activity on the student record, depending on the type of document. Before submitting irreplaceable material to support an application, check with Registrar and Enrolment Services.
Registrar and Enrolment Services will destroy all admissions material after one year if a student does not register into courses.
For further information please contact Registrar and Enrolment Services.