Registration for the GO Team opens on Wednesday, January 15, 2020. Please come back to this page to register after this date.
How do I sign up?
Fill out the online form to register to be a part of the GO Team between January 15 and February 28, 2020. Register now.
Want to volunteer and the deadline has passed? Email email@example.com to see if there are still spots.
What is the GO Team?
The GO Team is made up of a group of dedicated volunteers who provide new students with their first Langara experience during New Student Orientation. GO Team volunteers make the transition to Langara easier and more fun while connecting new students with the people, tools, resources, and services they need in order to become successful Langara students. The GO Team makes New Student Orientation possible which promotes the success of students and our community.
This term, more than 50 volunteers will be accepted into the Spring 2020 GO Team. These volunteers will participate in soft skill and event training sessions, and volunteer at the New Student Orientation and Semester Kickoff events in May 2020.
All GO Team volunteers will receive:
- volunteer hours for every completed training session and volunteer shift
- specialized training in cultural awareness, communication, and leadership
- a chance to make a difference in the Langara community
- a thank you letter, free t-shirt, and additional recognition throughout the program
The GO Team is open to any Langara student. Please contact us with any accessibility concerns.
What kind of training will I receive?
GO Team training is interactive and comprehensive, and takes 14 hours to fully complete . During training, volunteers apply new knowledge through excercises, service, and reflection. Training prepares GO Team members to be agile orientation leaders with good communication skills. However, these skills can be applied to any area of life.
We will add successful applicants to the Fall 2019 GO Team Brightspace course. Please note that this is a non-credit training program and is not associated with any academic course or program. Online Training components will not exceed one (1) hour of work per week and may include watching short videos, posting short video reflections, and checking for announcements.
In-person sessions are approximately two (2) hours in length and may include games, puzzles, and reflection activities. GO Team training is tiered into two distinct levels. Level One provides a fundamental understanding and introductory applications of the topics, whereas Level Two
Wednesday Sessions are all from 2:30pm to 4:20pm in room T 530. Thursday Sessions are from 2:30pm to 4:20pm in room A 237.
GO Team Important Dates
- Program Welcome: Wednesday, March 4, 2020
- Cultural Awareness Training:
- Level 1: Wednesday, March 11, 2020
- Level 2: Thursday, March 12, 2020
- Communication Training:
- Level 1: Wednesday, March 18, 2020
- Level 2: Thursday, March 19, 2020
- Leadership Training:
- Level 1: Wednesday, March 25, 2020
- Level 2: Thursday, March 26, 2020
- Interviews for Group Leaders: Wednesday, April 1, 2020
- Event Training: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 (location for this session is room C 408)
- Volunteer Shifts: Monday & Tuesday, April 27 & 28, 2020
- Recognition and Reflection Session: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 (location for this session is room C 408)
Questions? Contact Maggie Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org