GO Team Volunteers
GO Team Volunteers help new students become active members of the Langara community by introducing them to people, physical spaces, involvement opportunities and support services to make the orientation and transition to Langara easier & more fun!
Explore the Frequently Asked Questions below to find out more about the GO Team, including how to apply.
GO Team volunteers make the transition to Langara easier and more fun while connecting new students with the people, tools, resources, and services they need to become successful Langara students.
The peer-to-peer approach allows new students to engage and connect in a relaxed environment through the support of trained student volunteers.
When you become a GO Team volunteer, you join a program that is focused on helping you improve your communication, leadership, and cultural awarness and community building skills.
The GO Team is open to any Langara student. Don't worry if you don't have any experience volunteering at Langara, or if it's your first semester at Langara. Our team of dedicated Student Engagement staff will be there to support you and help you gain the skills and confidence you need to make an impact through volunteering.
Volunteering with GO Team offers you a unique opportunity to be a part of the Langara community and help new students transition to college while developing and improving valuable skills like leadership, communication, and networking. Plus you'll make plenty of new connections.
Here's some examples of what GO Team volunteers will gain from the role:
- You'll build and support an engaged community of new students.
- You'll develop your facilitation skills through leading icebreakers with a diverse group of students and peers.
- You'll develop your intercultural communication skills through attending Cultural Awareness training.
- You'll build on your understanding of key campus resources and services and learn how and when to refer students.
- You'll build leadership, teamwork and public speaking skills through working collaboratively with peers and professional staff.
- You'll meet lots of people and make lasting friendships - you might even become Langara famous!
All GO Team volunteers will receive:
- Volunteer hours for every completed training session and volunteer shifts
- Specialized training sessions
- A chance to make a difference in the Langara community
- The opportunity to make new friends
- A volunteer appreciation letter and additional recognition throughout the program
As a GO Team member, you'll welcome and connect with new students and help with facilitating group activities.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Build and support an engaged community of new students
- Facilitate the delivery of Orientation programming
- Assist new students in navigating campus
- Role model inclusive, respectful and welcoming student leadership
- Engage with students, make them comfortable, and answer their questions to help with their transition to College
- Refer students to key resources, services and departments to support the transition
GO Team Training includes four key modules:
- Module 1: Cultural Awareness (February 13-17)
- Module 2: Campus Resources and Student Involvement (Feb 27-March 3)
- Module 3: Public Speaking and Community Building (March 20-24)
- Module 4: Event Logistics Training (April 19 & April 24)
Each module is delivered in-person and online through a dedicated GO Team Brightspace course, and will equip you with the confidence and skills to become great leaders and mentors for your fellow peers.
Senior GO Team Volunteer (NEW)
The Senior GO Team Volunteer plays an important role in building community with GO Team volunteers by supporting them to enhance their knowledge of campus resources and services, build skills, deliver campus tours and facilitate activities to welcome new students during Orientation events and activities.
This role is different than the GO Team Volunteer role in that its function is to support a group of GO Team volunteers as well as support a group of new students during Orientation.
If you feel that you meet the above-mentioned skills and qualifications, we encourage you to apply.
Applications will open on Monday, January 30, 2023. Application will be closed at 11:59pm, February 5, 2023.
Email to email@example.com.
Please contact us directly with any accessibility concerns.
- Build and Support and Engaged Community of GO Team Volunteers
- Support the planning and delivery of New Student Orientation (May 1 & May 2, 2023)
- Assist with the design and delivery of a GO Team Appreciation Event (Late May)
- Group Facilitation skills (leading a small group of peers, assisting with facilitation of different events and sessions, etc.).
- Teamwork through working in collaboration with diverse teams, including peers, staff, and faculty.
- Written and oral communication skills (email correspondence, public speaking, etc).
- Time management and organization skills.
- Active listening skills and awareness of the needs of students in transition.
- Problem–solving and trouble-shooting experience.
- Facilitate bi-weekly check-ins with your group of GO Team Volunteers
- Attend 1-hour monthly meeting with Student Engagement Coordinator
- Participate in the online discussions in the GO Team Summer 2023 Brightspace Course
- Maintain weekly contact with the Manager, Student Engagement (via email, meetings)
during the Spring semester.
- Assist with delivering the GO Team Logistics training session including evaluating GO Team volunteer’s knowledge of campus resources and services, facilitation of campus tours and icebreaker activities.
- Assist with the delivery of New Student Orientation (May 1st or May 2nd, 2023)
- Assist with the design and delivery of the GO Team Appreciation Event (Late May)
Current registered student at Langara in good standing, in Regular or Continuing Studies (Spring 2023 semester)
Completed a minimum of two semesters at Langara.
Completed a minimum of one semester of experience as a GO Team volunteer.
Recognizes the importance of being a positive role model and ambassador of Langara College
Able to commit to and follow through on all Senior GO Team volunteer responsibilities.
Interested in furthering leadership skills including written and verbal communication, group management, community building, event planning and group facilitation skills.
Intermediate knowledge of Langara College services and resources
Ability and willingness to work independently and as part of a team with students, volunteers, and staff.
Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to participate in an interview process involving a small group interview and 1:1 interview format.