Welcome to snəw̓eyəɬ leləm̓ Langara College! We are excited to welcome your student to the Langara community and support them in their academic journey.
Tips for Parents and Supporters
Sharing your student's transition to Langara can be exciting and rewarding. Your encouragement, patience, and understanding will play a key role in supporting your student along their journey. Here are some things to keep in mind:
The first-term experience
- Making friends. Attending College is an opportunity for students to expand their circle of friends.
- Engaging in campus life. An important part of student life is the experience outside of the classroom.
- Managing time. Balancing classes and course work with personal, family and work-life is a key component of student success. Students will need to learn how to balance other commitments with their academic responsibilities.
- Experiencing the pressure. New students have a lot to cope with including anxiety over grades, financial pressures, taking personal responsibility for their learning and worries about reaching their future goals.
- Staying healthy and well. Studying needs to be balanced while supporting physical, mental and emotional wellness.
What you can do to help
- Be there. Know when to actively listen. Let your student know you are there for them when they need you.
- Be supportive and understanding. Listen and be sensitive to what your student is experiencing.
- Be in the know. Learn more about how works so that you can understand what your student is going through. Here are a few places to start:
- Be trusting. Know that your student can make good decisions and have confidence in their ability to assess situations.
- Be flexible. Know when your help is needed and when to let your student discover things on their own.