Frequently Asked Questions About Psychology at Langara

Q: I completed Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) psychology. How does it transfer to Langara?

A: Unfortunately, the Langara College Psychology Department does not currently accept AP or IB accreditation. It is our experience that students who take psychology in high school are not adequately prepared for courses taught by discipline experts with graduate degrees (MAs and PhDs in psychology) at a post-secondary level.

Q: What happens if I am transferring from another post-secondary institution?

A: If you are transferring from elsewhere, it is important to apply to the registrar’s office to have your credits transferred “officially” so they show up in the Langara online registration system (Banner). This process doesn’t happen automatically – you have to apply to complete it. Failure to do so will mean that you will waste valuable registration time trying to chase down advisors for prerequisite overrides. Our psychology courses fill quickly and have huge waiting lists, so you want to do everything to ensure that you can register on time.  If you have met all prerequisites, the Psychology Department Student Advisor will provide an override, but first the advisor will need to see your receipt demonstrating that you have applied to have your credits “officially” transferred to Langara.  (Note: Even if you only plan to remain at Langara for one or two semesters, you still need to have your prerequisites from other institutions “officially” put into the system.)  

Q: What happens if I don’t have the prerequisites required to take 2nd- and 3rd-year psychology courses?

A: All of our 2nd- and 3rd-year courses require that you have completed our introductory psychology courses (PSYC 1115 and PSYC 1215) with a minimum of a “C-“.  Some courses have higher minimum standards. These standards have been established based on previous student performance. (Students who do not meet the prerequisites have been shown to struggle and not succeed in 2nd- and 3rd-year courses.) If you don’t meet the minimum requirements, we strongly suggest that you retake PSYC 1115 and/or PSYC 1215 to raise your grades. 

Q: If I am currently registered in a course that is a prerequisite but haven’t completed it yet (e.g., PSYC 1115 and PSYC 1215), do I need to request a prerequisite override for the higher-level course?

A: No. If you are currently registered in a course that serves as a prerequisite, you can register in the higher-level course. However, be aware that if your final grade in the prerequisite course does not meet the necessary standard, your registration in the higher-level course will automatically be dropped.

Q: Do I really need the math prerequisite for Psychology 2321 (Data Analysis in Psychology)?

A: Yes. In addition to obtaining a minimum of a “C+” grade in PSYC 1115 and PSYC 1215, the prerequisite for PSYC 2321 includes a minimum "C" grade in one of Foundations of Mathematics 11, Pre-calculus 11, Foundations of Mathematics 12, or Pre-calculus 12; OR a minimum "S" grade in MATH 1150; OR a satisfactory score (053) on the statistics version of the Mathematics & Statistics Diagnostic Test (MDT).
Please note: If you are missing the high school math prerequisites for PSYC 2321, you absolutely need to write the statistics version of the Mathematics & Statistics Diagnostic Test – there are no exceptions. The Mathematics & Statistics Diagnostic Test allows us to determine whether you have the necessary mathematical background to be successful in PSYC 2321. For test dates, please consult the MDT Dates, Times, and Results page.

Q: Who should I contact regarding course registration?

A: Students should direct all inquiries regarding psychology course registration, course selection, and course overrides to the Psychology Department Student Advisor at psychology@langara.ca. The student advisor will direct you to the appropriate contact. Do not email requests to multiple faculty members. They will just redirect you to our Psychology Department Student Advisor, as per departmental policy.

Q: If one psychology department faculty member declines my request for a prerequisite override for a certain course, is it worthwhile for me to approach another psychology department faculty member?

A: No. The prerequisites for psychology courses are clearly defined, and the prerequisites exist in order to ensure that students have the best chances possible of being successful in our courses. If your request for a prerequisite override is denied by one member of the Psychology Department, you will get the same response from other faculty members because they are all following the same departmental policies.

Q: I want to take my 1st and 2nd year in psychology at Langara and then transfer to SFU, UBC, or UVIC. What courses should I take to successfully transfer?

A: Within BC, Psychology has a Flexible Pre-Major (FPM) agreement in place across many institutions. A Flexible Pre-Major refers to first- and second-year courses that students are required to complete in order to be admitted to a major at the third-year level. The existence of the Psychology FPM allows you to plan your first- and second-year courses and leave open multiple options for transferring into the psychology major at various BC institutions at the third-year level. If you plan to attend a particular university and end up not doing so, completion of the Psychology FPM will allow you to complete your psychology major at another participating institution. For detailed information on the Psychology Flexible Pre-Major, please visit the BC Transfer Guide.

Students may wish to take the Associate of Arts Degree in Psychology Program while completing the requirements for the Psychology Flexible Pre-Major. For information about completing the Associate of Arts Degree in Psychology, please consult the Program Curriculum.

Each institution has its own requirements. More course planning information for those specifically planning to transfer to a Bachelor of Arts degree program with a major in Psychology at SFU or UBC can be found at the Counselling Department's SFU Course Planning Guides and UBC Course Planning Guides.

Q: I have an accessibility accommodation for group work (Example: Alternate Format/Assignment for Group Work/Group Presentations). Can I work alone/independently or be given an alternate assignment for the PSYC 2320: Research Methods Collaborative Group Project?  

A: No. All students in PSYC 2320: Research Methods in Psychology must complete the Collaborative Group Project, in which students work in a group to design and conduct a simple psychology experiment. Accessibility Services has determined that working within a group is an essential part of this course to meet the course learning outcomes. No alternative assignment is available. PSYC 2320 is a required course for students who wish to complete the Associate of Arts Degree in Psychology.