We care for our students and will continue to provide support during this unprecedented and evolving situation.

These FAQs are specific to international student questions. If you are applying to Langara, please also visit the FAQ page for future students. If you are a current student, please also check the other FAQ pages for general student questions and Continuing Studies programs. If you can't find an answer on these pages, please email returntocampus@langara.ca.

Don’t forget to check out our Mental Health & Well-being page to see the supports available to you.

General Questions

International Student Coordinators are available during regular office hours via email and phone.

Each International Student Coordinators serves a different market of student but all are free to answer questions and provide support to students. If you aren't sure who your ISC is, contact information is available online.

Students are also invited to join a one-on-one international student advising session to speak with an advisor about general or immigration questions.

The International Student Services team hosts one-on-one drop in advising sessions for students. 

Students are encouraged to drop in to ask their questions directly to an International Student Coordinator for general advising or immigration advising.

The change to travel restrictions and the ongoing COVID-19 situation around the world is upsetting to many of our students and members of the community. The Mental Health & Well-being page has resources and support available to you.

Students registered in online courses can continue to participate in their courses from outside Canada.

While it may be possible to travel into Canada from another country, we do not encourage these travel plans. Testing requirements along the way, and the risk of transmission for COVID-19, makes it difficult to ensure entry to Canada.

Read the current travel restrictions into Canada.

If you have questions or concerns regarding your quarantine, please contact us at quarantinesupport@langara.ca

Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan can reopen to international students who are currently outside Canada. Langara College is on the list of approved COVID-19 readiness plans. For more information on travel exemptions, visit the IRCC Website.
If you plan to travel to Canada as an international student and want a letter of support from the College you must meet the following criteria: 

  • Have a fully approved study permit or letter of introduction (approval in principle is not eligible for travel to Canada).

  • Speak with your International Student Coordinator to complete and submit a quarantine plan

Review Langara’s Quarantine Resources page to get started. This will have information for testing requirements and exemptions to quarantine for eligible students who are already vaccinated,


If you have any questions, please contact the Langara Global quarantine team at quarantinesupport@langara.ca


Yes, all residents of BC are eligible for the vaccine. This includes international students in the country.

From the BC Centre for Disease Control:
COVID-19 vaccines are available at no cost to everyone 12 years of age and older living, working or studying in B.C.

If you did not get vaccinated before coming to Canada or need to complete your immunization with a second dose, you will have the opportunity to get vaccinated in B.C.

All students will be eligible to receive the vaccine, including international students and their families. You do not need a Personal Health Number (PHN), B.C. Services Card, or to be enrolled in B.C.'s Medical Services Plan to get the vaccine. However, all students are encouraged to obtain a PHN in order to use the provincial on-line vaccination booking system.

Learn more about the COVID-19 vaccine in BC.

Yes. You now need proof of vaccination to access some events, services and businesses. The easiest way to show proof is using the BC Vaccine Card.

You can get your card by going to the BC Vaccine Card website.

Submit or update your immunization record online.  

Get your BC Vaccine Card as soon as possible, but until you do, international students can show their proof of vaccination they used to enter Canada (ArriveCan) and passport.

We understand that many banks have limited hours, and as our Student Accounts Office is temporarily closed, fees must now be paid through online transactions. Here are some options:

Fees can be paid in foreign currency as an online payment to Langara College. In select markets, other payment options are available.

Online Banking
If you have an account with a major Canadian bank, you can select Langara College as a payee through the Bill Payment screen and use your 9 digit Langara Identification number as your account number.

Student Information System

To pay the commitment fee:

  • Click "Student Menu"

  • Click "Commitment Fee Payment" to select the semester and amount of payment

  • Follow prompts to complete payment.

To pay tuition and fees:

  • Click "Registration"

  • Click "Account Balance and Payments" and select the appropriate semester

  • Follow prompts to complete payment.

If you are having problems logging into the Student Information System, please email international@langara.ca. Please include your full name, your student ID number, and an explanation of the problem.

Students may request transfer credits by completing the Transfer Credit Form and submitting it with the fee through the Fee Payment Portal (search for Transfer Credit Request Form). Original transcripts must come from the school directly, or a student can mail an unopened transcript. Transcripts must show the final grades of all courses to be considered.

Students may use the Program Change Request Form and return by email to records@langara.ca.

Many students will be starting courses in the fall from their home country. You will be invited to orientation sessions to prepare for online learning.

Some resources that are available include:

Future students are invited to participate in virtual information sessions, or to meet us at virtual fairs. Visit the schedule for more information.

Current Students

Yes, The GuardMe health plan covers “COVID-19” as it is no different than any other emergency medical issue a student or staff person would have. Medical expenses are eligible under the Medical Services Plan (MSP). Those students who have transitioned to MSP coverage will be covered under the Provincial government.

Due to exceptional circumstances that have restricted travel, international students who are not living in Canada will be allowed to opt-out of the extended health & medical benefits that are offered through the Langara Students' Union from StudentCare. Plan benefits cover a full year from September through August.

There will be one opt-out period for the 2021/22 benefit year: Sept. 3 - 24, 2021.

Once a student opts out of their extended benefits they will not be able to re-enrol part-way through the year. If you are expecting to travel to Canada in 2022, you should not opt out since your coverage is effective until August 31, 2022.

Students opt-out through the StudentCare website. Please visit the StudentCare “How to Opt Out” page for more details and instructions.

Students who have questions about the Extended Health Benefits may contact the Langara Student Union or consult the StudentCare website.

Update from the IRCC:

Under normal circumstances, criteria for the PGWPP limit an international student’s ability to pursue a program via distance learning, from inside or outside Canada, and time spent studying outside Canada is deducted from the length of the work permit for which they are eligible.

PGWPP eligibility will not be affected for international students whose courses will be online due to COVID-19. This is in line with guidance provided to students already studying in Canada.

Students in this situation may begin their classes while outside Canada and complete up to 50% of their program via distance learning if they cannot travel to Canada sooner.

In addition, they will not have time deducted from the length of a future post-graduation work permit for studies completed outside of Canada.

Learn more.

Information on extending your study permit can be found on the International Education current students pages.

We recommend that you extend your study permit at least three months in advance of its expiration and no more than six months before expiration. 

Regular Studies Students (University Transfer/Career/PDD)

Your study permit extension letter will take about 7-10 business days to be processed and it will be emailed in PDF form directly to your mylangara email.

Once you have received the study permit extension letter, please follow these instructions to apply for your study permit extension through IRCC.

There is no longer a need to get a confirmation of enrolment letter to extend your study permit. All of the information that IRCC requires is now on your study permit extension letter that can be obtained by emailing international@langara.ca. Please include in the Subject: Study Permit Extension Request | Student ID #

Most of our International Student Coordinators (ISC) are licensed in immigration. You are welcome to email your ISC directly and they will either respond to your question directly or forward it to one of our licensed ISCs. Students are also invited to join a one-on-one international student advising session to speak with an advisor about general or immigration questions.

You can also email international@langara.ca and our front desk staff will direct your inquiry to a licensed immigration advisor.

Our licensed immigration advisors are available to students during regular office operational hours, Monday - Friday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.

No. According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, as of March 13, 2020, courses of study being delivered online on an exceptional basis due to COVID-19 will not affect Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Program eligibility for a post-graduation work permit.

Please contact your International Student Coordinator with further questions on PGWP and eligibility.

Working and volunteering are great ways to gain Canadian experience while studying at Langara. As an international student, there are some restrictions on where you can work, and how many hours you can work while you are studying in Canada. It is important that you understand all regulations to avoid any impact on your status in Canada. Please visit the International Education page for more information on working on and off campus. If you have further questions, please contact an International Student Coordinator.

Many programs have a scheduled break during the summer semester. If you are not sure if your program is eligible for a scheduled break, visit the Internation Education page for scheduled breaks

If you have further questions please contact an International Student Coordinator.

Admitted Students

Courses for Fall 2021 will be mostly on-campus or partially on-campus and students in these courses will be expected to attend in person. Students who are in online courses may study from their home country without negatively impacting their Study Permit or Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).

It is very important that everyone has medical insurance. Your provincial medical insurance will not start until after three months of being in Canada.  Therefore, you will need to have private medical insurance to cover your first three months in the country.

Langara has a partnership with GuardMe which you can purchase at www.guard.me/langaracollege. Use this validation code to get the Langara discount: Validation Code 4727.

For more information on GuardMe insurance, visit: https://langara.ca/international-education/accepted-students/medical-insurance.html