Assistance Programs

The Financial Aid Department administers a variety of assistance programs. Staff are available to help students complete several assistance forms, provide advice on general financial planning, and find solutions to financial problems. Students experiencing financial difficulties should visit the Registrar & Enrolment Services Office or contact Financial Aid directly to book an appointment with a Financial Aid advisor. A brief description of financial support programs available at Langara College follows.

For budgeting and financial planning information, please visit the RBC On Campus education center for students in the A Building or access

StudentAid BC

StudentAid BC provides assistance in the form of Canada Student Loans, BC Student Loans, and possible grant funding. The amount and type of assistance awarded is based on need as assessed by the provincial authority. For information on how to apply, download this Full-Time/Part-Time Information Sheet and watch these Student Aid BC videos. We recommend applying for student aid at least eight weeks before tuition is due to ensure your funding is in place before the tuition payment deadline. 

Students are reminded that this is an assistance program aimed at complementing, not replacing, their own financial resources. To be eligible for full time student aid, students must be registered in 60% of a full course load (nine credit hours) or 40% (six credit hours) for students with approved disabilities. To be eligible for part time student aid, students must be registered between a 20% to 40% course load. For questions on what program to apply to, based on your expected course load, please reach out to a Financial Aid advisor. 

To apply for a student loan online or to check the status of a student loan, visit here If you are applying for student loans and grants for the first time, you will need to start by setting up your BC Services Card application on your mobile device. For more information on how to do this, download this Setting up your BC Services Card.

There are several grants, scholarships, and other non-repayable financial support available to students. To learn more about each and determine your eligibility, please visit the StudentAid BC website. If you are a student with an approved permanent, persistent or prolonged disability, you may be eligible for grants and bursaries that can help cover the cost of tuition or equipment. For questions or help in applying for these supports, please reach out to a Financial Aid advisor.

Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG)

AUG (formerly ABESAP) is a provincially-funded program designed to fund the direct educational costs of students enrolled in programs such as:

  • Academic Upgrading (when not repeating courses for better grades)
  • Pre-Vocational courses
  • English Language Training
  • Adult Special Education

AUG is intended for students who have left the secondary school system without completion and who wish to pursue upgrading. The amount of the grant awarded to the student is based on a standard needs assessment procedure. The current courses eligible for AUG include:

  • ENGL 1098, 1099, 1106, 1107, 1108, 1110, 1120, 1121
  • MATH 1100, 1101, 1150
  • CS LEAP Basics, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

For more information visit

Student Work Assistance Program (SWAP)

The Student Work Assistance Program (SWAP) provides paid employment for students who demonstrate financial need. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of nine credits. (Students with permanent disabilities who are registered with Langara College Accessibility Services require a minimum of six credits.) This enrolment must be maintained throughout the semester in order to remain eligible for the SWAP program.

First term students are eligible, but those students who are past their first semester must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00.

Students should contact departments on campus to check for availability of SWAP positions or visit the “For Job Seekers” link on the Langara College website for our Student Employment postings. See the Registrar & Enrolment Services Office for further information.

Out-of-Province Student Loan Program

Some student loan applications and website addresses for other provinces and the Yukon and NorthWest Territories are available in the Registrar & Enrolment Services Office.

Emergency Loans

Emergency loans are used to assist students when student loans have been approved but are delayed. In some circumstances, other types of income are used as security for an emergency loan; each situation is considered separately. Students in emergency situations are advised to see the Registrar & Enrolment Services Office to set up an interview with an advisor.