Program FAQs

Program FAQs

Q:  Does the Diploma in Food, Nutrition, and Health Transfer only lead to dietetics? 

A: No – the Diploma in Food, Nutrition, and Health Transfer gives the student preferred acceptance to the BSc in Food, Nutrition, and Health. From there the student can follow different paths, such as Food, Nutrition and Health, Food Science, Nutritional Science etc. Courses can be taken that will lead to a career as a Home Economics teacher or a myriad of other things.  See the UBC website for more information.

Q: What is the difference between a Dietitian and a Nutrition Manager?

There are a number of differences between a Dietitian and Nutrition Manager. Review our What's the Difference table to learn more about the education required and career opportunities in both fields. 

Q: What else do I need to get into dietetics at UBC, besides completing the Diploma in Food, Nutrition, and Health Transfer?

A: In addition to completing the transfer program with the minimum 3.0 GPA, there are two UBC-specific courses that need to be completed before applying to the third-year entry of UBC’s Dietetics program.  More information can be found on the UBC Dietetics website.  Admission to the Dietetics major at UBC is highly competitive and requires a strong academic standing and a demonstrated passion for the profession. That ‘passion for the profession’ can be demonstrated through work and/or volunteer experience in the foodservice sector, in health care, in leadership or food service supervisory roles and through good interpersonal skills.  The UBC Admissions Committee will look for examples that show you have investigated the profession and know this is the career path for you.

Q. If I don’t have the 3.0 CGPA needed for the Food, Nutrition, and Health Transfer Diploma Program can I still apply to UBC from the Associate of Science in Food and Nutrition Diploma degree program?

A: You can apply – but you will not be given the preferred admission to the BSc in Food, Nutrition, and Health. You will need to apply as a transfer student – and follow the process shown on the UBC website.

Q. Although I want to be a dietitian, my grades are not good enough for admission to UBC. Can I transfer to the Nutrition and Food Service Management diploma program?

A: Yes, you can and you will receive credit for some of the courses you’ve already completed, depending on where you are in your studies. Make an appointment to speak with the Department Chair to discuss which option of the 2-year diploma program best suits your career goals.