*Are you an employee? Do you need a Langara ID? If so, please read this article to learn how to request an ID.
New Student ID (smart card) for campus access
Starting in January 2021, student ID (smart cards) will provide access to exterior doors around campus during open hours. All students taking on-campus courses should apply for a new student ID below.
See a map of entrance points on campus (Key Entrance Map).
Eventually all students will be transitioned to smart cards. You only need to apply for a smart card at this time if you have on campus classes during the spring semester.
Do I need a smart card?
- Students only require a new smart card if they currently have on campus classes and need to access campus on a regular basis.
- If you currently have classes on campus and recieved a photo ID in a previous semester, please apply for the new smart card.
- Please do not apply for a smart card if do not to come to campus for classes.
- Nursing students will require a smart card in addition to their nursing badge.
Note: If you have on-campus classes and have not recieved a new smart card yet, please continue to use the check-in stations until you recieve your new smart card.
How to get a Student ID (smart card):
Student photo ID applications are completed online. Please complete the Student ID (smart card) Application Form. Once your ID request has been approved and processed, you will be notified to schedule your pickup.
Note: You will be required to show proof of successful completion (printed copy or screenshot) of the COVID-19 Safety Awareness course.
Submit a student ID (smart card) application online:
- To apply for a Langara student ID card, you must be a registered student.
- If you’re a Continuing Studies student, you may need to wait until your first day of classes to get your student photo ID.
- Submit the Photo ID Application Form form along with a digital photo of yourself meeting the guidelines below
- Must reflect your current appearance
- Not altered in any way
- Clearly show your face
- Taken front-on in portrait (vertical) orientation
- Taken against a neutral background
- You can smile
Student ID (smart card) FAQs:
How do I pick up my student ID card (smart card)?
When your card has been printed, you will be notified by email to schedule a pickup appointment. Once the appointment is confirmed, you will be able to pick up your card from the A Building Information Kiosk at the scheduled time. Do not come to campus to pick up your card without booking an appointment first.
Please bring along a piece of government ID and proof that you have successfully completed the COVID-19 Safety Awareness course (located in Brightspace). You will need to present them to the Info Kiosk staff in order to receive your card.
- Make sure to fill out the form completely and accurately. You request will be rejected if the required information is missing from the submission, or we cannot verify your identity using the information you have provided.
- Notifications about your ID request will be sent to your Langara email account. Please make sure to check your Langara email account regularly.
- We are not able to change the name that appears on your ID card. Contact Registrar & Enrolment Services if you need to request a name change.
Is there a fee to get a student ID (smart card)?
There are no fees for obtaining a new student ID. Fees for obtaining a replacement card or a clinic card have been suspended at this time.
I can't pick up my ID in person, can it be mailed to me?
No, we are not currently mailing student ID cards due to security reasons. They must be collected in person from the A Building Info Kiosk. If all your classes are online and you are not on campus regularly, you don't necessarily need to apply for a student ID card.
I can't pick up my ID in person, can someone else pick it up for me?
No, your student ID card must be picked up in person by you. You may continue to check in through designated building entrances without a student ID.
Why do I need to have a student ID (smart card)?
- If you have on-campus classes your student ID (smart card) will be used to access campus facilities
- Proof that you are a student for holding a U-Pass BC (please see U-Pass eligibility here)
- Access to various services on campus
- Access to Langara Library’s media and book collection
- If you are a student, a wide range of retail stores and services will offer discounts
- Eligibility to apply for a Student Price Card and International Student Identity Card