We welcome international students to the Registered Massage Therapy Diploma program at Langara College. International applicants should apply with as much notice as possible in order for visas to be processed. We are currently accepting applications for September 2019, the application deadline is May 1, 2019. For information regarding visa and immigration information, please contact the International Education department at Langara.
Download our application form to begin your application.
International applicants must pay a non-refundable application fee of $155CAD. Please call the CS Registration Office at 604.323.5322 to pay this fee.
International tuition (including USA) is $38,496 CDN for the two-year program.* Tuition is paid in six installments, one per term. A non-transferable deposit that includes the first semester tuition and the International Supplemental fee for Year 1 of the RMT program of $4,590.00 CDN is required before the Letter of Acceptance is issued. The deposit may be refunded only if your student visa is denied by Immigration Canada. International students pay an International Supplemental fee of $4590 is Year 1 (Semester 1) and again in Year 2 (Semester 4).
*Note: Our international tuition fees will increase effective September 2019. The annual cost will be $19,446.
Estimated additional costs:
- Books: approx $3,500
- Supplies: $1,300
- Langara Student Union fees (vary each term - approx $1,300/year) provide unlimited U-Pass (transit pass), extended-medical and dental benefits. Students must have basic MSP (health) coverage.
Admission requirements for international students vary slightly. Details of requirements are included below.Successful completion of high school, with preference given to applicants who have post-secondary education including successful completion of Anatomy and Physiology course from a recognized university or college.
1. Transcripts. Applicants must submit official educational documents to support program application. If the transcripts are originally in a language other than English, an official, literal word-for word English translation must be submitted in addition to the original transcript.
2. Completion of a 2-day Introduction to Massage course or similar. The preferred course is Langara’s course, and we also accept a course from other RMT schools with similar hours (at least 12 hours long). Provide documentation of successful completion. International applicants who are not in Canada please seek out an introductory course in a hands-on treatment modality similar to RMT. Examples may include: Oil massage, Thai massage, Shiatsu, or Acupressure massage. Provide documentation of successful completion.
3. Visit to an RMT form completed by both the applicant and a Registered Massage Therapist, including essay component. Or, if applicants are outside of Canada, they can complete the Visit to a Wellness Practitioner form. This form must be completed by both the applicant and the Therapist, including the essay component.
4. RMT Program Essay Questions. Students must answer the RMT Program admission essay questions. Please answer questions completely in essay format. Please use 3-4 pages to complete the questions. Please answer questions all the RMT Program Essay Questions form.
5. Professional Reference Letter. Provide a reference from someone who has known you for at least 5 years, and is not a family member. For consistency, a professional is considered to be anyone who has a BA or equivalent university or college degree. The reference must outline the context of the relationship and must be able to attest to personal characteristics of perseverance and ability to deal with stressful situations.
6. English Proficiency. Students must demonstrate English-language proficiency with one of the following:
- TOEFL Paper Delivered Test with a total score of 92 or higher, and a minimum of 22 in Listening, 22 in Reading, and 22 in Writing
- TOEFL (Internet-based) with a total score of 92 or higher and a minimum of 22 in Listening, 22 in Reading, 22 in Speaking, and 22 in Writing
- IELTS Academic 7.0 with no band less than 6.5
- CAEL 70 overall with essay 65
- LPI (Language Proficiency Index) Level 5, essay 26
- IB English A1 or A2 (HL or SL) with a score of 4
- Advanced Placement
- English Language & Composition with score of 3
- English Literature & Composition with score of 3
- Successful completion of LEAP Level 8
- Successful completion of B.C. Grade 12 English or Communications 12 or equivalent with a combined grade of 70%
- Successful completion of post-secondary English or Communications course for which Langara awards transfer credit
7. Study Permit (if applicable). International students applying from overseas are advised to check with the Canadian Embassy in their country as to the processing time for a Study Permit (formerly known as Student Authorization/Visa).
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS CONSIDERING TRANSFER TO LANGARA RMT PROGRAM PLEASE NOTE:
International students transferring from a "private" RMT Program (ie: all non-degree granting BC Registered Massage Therapy programs [all programs other than Langara]) will NOT be eligible for the Canada Immigration 3-year post-graduation work permit. International students who wish to be eligible for this post-grad work permit must complete the entire program of studies at Langara to comply with the 2-year full-time study requirement.
Once successful applicants have received an acceptance letter to the RMT Program, they will need to complete the additional two requirements within 30 days:
1. Completion of a two-day First-Aid course that includes CPR Level C with AED. CMTBC approved course providers include: Canadian Red Cross, Canadian Ski Patrol, Heart and Stroke Foundation, Lifesaving Society or St John Ambulance. Your certificate must be valid for three years from the date of your acceptance letter.
2. Criminal record check performed through the Ministry of Justice in Victoria, BC. Criminal record checks from local police departments or RCMP offices are not accepted. Your Criminal Record Check must be valid for at least three years from the date of your acceptance letter.
- Easiest: Complete the record check online via the BC Government website. You will require the Langara RMT program code: LSLJ62YGZ7.
- Must come to Langara if online check is not accepted: Download the paper copy of the BC Criminal Record Check Form. The relevant Langara ID number for the RMT Program is included on this form. Payment is accepted by credit card. Students must first come in to Langara and meet with one of the RMT Program Coordinators, with your ID, so that we can confirm your identity. Then Langara sends in the form and the Ministry of Justice in Victoria will contact you for payment.