IT can set up mailing lists (aka listserves) for departments wanting group email.
- A list is administrated by the staff member who requested it, or by another designated employee.
- For information on how to manage a mail list, see mailman overview (pdf).
Who can use this service?
1. What if someone wants to change ownership of the list? Who should make the request? What if the original requestor of the list is not available?
If the current mail list administrator is unavailable, the department chair must make the change request to IT.
Otherwise, administrators should be able to do this themselves:
- Go to your list's administrative page (replace yourlistname in the URL):
- Add another person as a moderator and administrator
- Remove entries for the current administrator
2. Why does email to a Langara mailing list sometimes bounce back?
To prevent spam, mail will bounce if sent to over 10 addresses in addition to the email list. (That is, if the sender has over 10 recipients in his/her "To:" field in addition to the mailing list address).
List administrators can change this setting by doing the following:
- Login to the mailing list administration panel (URL above)
- Click on Privacy Options link
- Click on Recipient Filters link
- Change Ceiling on acceptable number of recipients for a posting option (Use 0 for no ceiling)