The Scholarship Café is an annual, open house-style event that showcases some of the most exciting and unique scholarly research our College has to offer. To facilitate more student-based projects, the Scholarship Café takes place in the spring.
Spring 2018 Scholarship Café - March 29, 2018
Join us for our spring showcase of scholarship and research projects. Presented by Langara faculty, staff, and students, this free event features projects from various academic departments and service areas.
Schedule of Events:
- 8:30 am — 11:00 am: Booth set-up for exhibitors
- 11:30 — 11:45 am: Heather Jessup, Claire Battershill, Make Believe: Truth and Lies in Canadian Culture, a Secret Library of Fakes
- 11:55 am — 12:10 pm: Denise Thomas, Catherine Kohm, Mike Mutter, and Marilyn ElBestawi: Fraser Health — Providing Real-World Experience for Langara Nursing Students
- 12:20 — 12:35 pm: Kelsey Dodds, Parallel 49 Brewing: Beer Flavor Development + Beer Tasting
- 12:45 — 1:00 pm: Roshan Noronha and Maggie Stewart: The Effect of Waste Food Diets on the Yellow Mealworm Beetle (Tenebrio molitor)
- 1:00 — 1:15pm: Allison Sullivan: LaIR
- 11:30 am — 3:00 pm: Exhibition of Projects
- 3:00 pm — 3:30 pm: Booth take-down and equipment return
Enter for a chance to win an iPad mini (value: $500)
Visit the Langara Flickr album for photos from our spring 2017 event.
Scholarship Café - Information for Exhibitors
Each booth will consist of two backdrops, each 24" wide x 36" high for mounting posters or photos, etc. The abstract will be provided and will be mounted on one of these backdrop boards. The front table is 3 feet by 6 feet and will come with a table cloth. Two chairs will be provided. If you request a monitor for digital display, it will sit on the table so the aisles can be left clear.
Before you book, please review the Info for Exhibitors brochure. It contains important details for exhibitors, from key deadlines to preparing display materials to booth set-up. Click here to see a photo of the booth layout. To see a sample of the abstract poster included with your booth, click here.
To reserve, email email@example.com.
If you have any questions not covered by the brochure, please contact Kevin Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.323.5305.
Thank you for being an exhibitor at our Scholarship Café. We look forward to seeing your work.
About Scholarly Activity at LangaraWe are a community of thinkers guided by the four pillars model* of academic scholarship:
- Discovery (advances knowledge)
- Integration (across disciplines or time)
- Application (aids society and professions by providing solutions to problems)
- Teaching and Learning (a systematic study)
What are you thinking about? Explore our opportunities for scholarly activity and collaborative research.
*Boyer, E. L. (1990). Scholarship reconsidered: Priorities of the professoriate. Princeton, NJ: Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.