Recreation professionals help people improve their quality of life. It is a profession that builds people and by this action builds communities.
The two-year Recreation Leadership Diploma Program is for students who like to work with people and help them experience the benefits of quality recreation. The program addresses issues such as:
- Planning recreation programs
- Organizing and planning special events
- Marketing and promoting recreation programs
- Programming community recreation facilities
- Organizing and staffing recreation programs and facilities
- Public speaking skills
- Facility design and operation
- Professional presentation skills
- Basic business skills
- Leadership skills
- Management (how to organize, monitor, plan, lead) skills
- How to partner with community groups, organizations and businesses
The program prepares students for employment in the field of Leisure and Recreation. Graduates of the diploma program can further their study in the Bachelor of Recreation Management Degree Program as third year students.
The objectives of the Recreation Leadership Diploma Program are to teach students how to:
- Become professionals in the field of recreation
- Lead, design and manage quality recreation programs and facilities
- Learn the techniques and business practices of recreation service delivery and community development
- Build essential abilities for life – communication, thinking, planning and teamwork
Recreation Leadership Diploma Program graduates demonstrate a commitment to the values and benefits of recreation; have developed a comprehensive understanding of recreation related delivery systems and facilities; and can successfully apply program leadership and planning processes within those systems.
Please click below for a slideshow on the two-year Recreation Leadership Diploma Program: