Sharing your student's transition to Langara can be exciting and rewarding. Your encouragement, patience, and understanding will be vital in supporting your student while they are with us. Here are some things to keep in mind:
The 1st year experience
- Making friends. Attending College is an opportunity for students to expand their circle of friends.
- Incorporating campus life. An important part of student life is the experience outside of the classroom.
- Managing time. Balancing classes and course work with personal, family and work-life is a key component of student success. Students will need to learn how to balance other commitments with their academic responsibilities.
- Experiencing the pressure. New students have a lot to cope with including anxiety over grades, financial pressures, culture shock and worries about reaching their future goals.
- Staying healthy and well. Studying needs to be balanced with staying in good physical and mental shape.
What you can do to help
- Be there. Know when to actively listen. Let your child know you are there for them when they need you.
- Be supportive and understanding. Listen and be sensitive to what your child is experiencing.
- Be in the know. Learn about how Langara works so that you can have an understanding of what your child is going through. Ask questions.
- Be trusting. Know that your child is capable of making good decisions and have confidence in their ability to assess situations.
- Be flexible. Know when your help is needed and when to let your child discover things on their own.