NAMRITA HAYER (2008)
"I would recommend Studio 58 to anyone that is passionate about theatre...I can say that having Studio 58 on my resume has definitely helped me get my foot in the door. From my agent, to the people I audition for, everybody seems willing to see what a Studio 58 grad has to offer."
Excerpt from Art School Reviews. Click here to read full review.
SONJA BENNETT (2002)
“This program is entirely unique. It has been invaluable to me. In essence, at Studio 58 each student’s education is tailor-made to fit their own needs.”
- Punch; recipient of Artist Merit Award
- Women in Film and Video; Best Canadian Actress in a Lead Role, Vancouver Critics Circle
- Lead roles in Cold Squad and Godiva’s; Leo and Gemini nominations for both series Atom Egoyan’s Where The Truth Lies, Anagram Pictures Fido, Sony’s Catch and Release, and Think Film’s Young People F**king- which she won the Vancouver Film Critics Circle award for Best Supporting Actress in a feature
CHARLES CHRISTIEN GALLANT (2007)
“The training is difficult, painful, exhausting... but like any birth, it is ultimately the most powerful and rewarding program I have ever fought through. Teaching with honesty, passion and an acute eye for technique - I graduated with contacts, experience, a resume, and the knowledge to succeed."
- ‘Young Man in His Greatness (World Premiere, Arts Club Theatre)
- 2 Jessie Richardson Theatre Awards (Sam Payne Award for Best Newcomer and Outstanding Ensemble for Steel Kiss, produced by Green Thumb Theatre)
- Film - Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Brother, The Hard Cut
DEAN PAUL GIBSON (1994)
“The training I received at Studio 58 provided me with a strong foundation and good general working knowledge of the professional theatre world. It has continued to assist me on many of my artistic endeavors, affirming a good work process and general philosophy of theatre arts that began at Studio 58. I will always be grateful for the education I received at Langara College.”
- Directing – Othello, Romeo and Juliet, Twelfth Night, and Two Gentlemen of Verona for Bard the Beach, The School for Scandal and A Flea in Her Ear (Arts Club), No Great Mischief, Noises Off (The Playhouse).
- Acting - Vigil for Theatre Calgary, ‘Fezziwig/ensemble’ in A Christmas Carol (Playhouse) ‘Felix Humble’ in two productions of Humble Boy (Tarragon Theatre and The Playhouse/National Arts Centre), ‘Sammy’ in Little Mercy's First Murder (Touchstone), Shopping & F**king (Pi, Ruby Slippers), Stones in his Pockets (The Playhouse and remount production at The Belfry).
JENNY YOUNG (2000)
"Studio 58 gave me the desire to strive for excellence in my craft as well as a thirst and curiosity for what we can achieve as theatre artists. I am in my tenth year as a professional actor and I am still consistently using the tools that I gained while training at Studio 58."
- Premiere of Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad at the Royal Shakespeare Company in the UK and the NAC in Canada
- Series lead on CBC's radio drama Afghanada
- ‘Josie’ in A Moon for the Misbegotten at the Shaw Festival
National Tour and premiere of The Shape of a Girl -Betty Mitchell Award, Jessie nomination, Dora nomination
- Sam Payne Award for Most Promising Newcomer
2 Jessie nominations for TYA
KEVIN LORING (2000)
“The training I received at Studio 58 has made me a competitive professional theatre artist. It’s opened many doors for me in the theatre community, and it’s given me the exposure I needed to get a good start as a working professional actor. Simply put: Studio 58 grads work.”
- Where the Blood Mixes (Playwright) – Jessie Richardson Theatre ward & Dora Mavor Moore Award nominee for Best New Play
- Ecstacy of Rita Joe (WCTC, National Arts Centre)
- Copper Thunderbird (National Arts Centre)
TRACEY ERIN SMITH (1995)
"Since graduating I have performed my original one-woman show 'The Burning Bush!' across Canada and in New York City in an Off-Broadway theatre. I am often asked where I did my professional training and it is with great pride that I say Vancouver's famous Studio 58."
- Actor/Playwright - "The Burning Bush!'
- Critic's Pick in BackStage Magazine NYC, Audience Choice Award - New York City's Frigid Festival and Best of the Fringe - Toronto
DREW FACEY (2006)
"Training at Studio 58 allowed me the opportunity to refine my skills as a designer but most importantly as a theatre artist. I have worked constantly since completing the program and I have no doubt that the reputation of my alma mater has underpinned the success of my career."
- Production Designer for Des flocons pour Alicia & Ecran de fumée (Jessie Award Winner for Outstanding Set and Costume Design), Théâtre la Seizième
- Munsch Alley- Costume Designer (Jessie Award Nomination for Outstanding Design Team), Carousel Theatre
- Jack Pine, Set and Props Designer, Vancouver Opera
- The Dissemblers- Costume Designer, Touchstone Theatre
DANI FECKO (2007)
“The training I received at Studio 58 gave me the tools and stamina I needed to begin my professional career. Since graduating I have been consistently employed, often being contracted a year in advance. I can honestly say that I owe this to the support and guidance of the staff and instructors at the school, and the professional relationships I developed with visiting directors and designers as well as fellow students and alumni.”
- Apprentice Stage Manager - Vancouver Opera, Vancouver Playhouse
- Stage Manager – Train (Theatre Replacement/Alberta Theatre Projects), Seussical the Musical, The Odyssey, The Hobbit (Carousel Theatre)
- Tour Stage Manager – Sexual Practices of the Japanese, That Night Follows Day (Theatre Replacement/Factory Theatre, Theatre Replacement/PuSh/On The Boards)
- Stage Manager –Associate Producer – PuSh International Performing Arts Festival 2010
- Winner of the Sam Payne award for ‘Most Promising Newcomer’, 2009 Jessie Richardson Theatre Awards
KRIS NELSON (2004)
“Studio 58 gave me meaningful connections to the professional community in Vancouver. My time at the school with the faculty and my peers taught me how to create work with pragmatism, ingenuity, industriousness, vision and heart.”
- Encounters Series Curator for Magnetic North Theatre Festival (2009); Associate Producer, Magnetic North (2008); Associate Producer, PuSh International Performing Arts Festival (2005-2007); Production Manager, HIVE 1 (2007)
- Dramaturg for Theatre Replacement's BIOBOXES (Vancouver), Caravan Farm Theatre's Everyone (Armstrong), Théâtre la Catapulte's Rideau Project (Ottawa)
- Recipient of Mallory Gilbert Award for Artistic Leadership, protegé of Heather Redfern, 2009
- Various projects as artistic and producing collaborator with Theatre Replacement, Rumble Productions, neworld theatre, Brownbike, Out on Screen, Playwright's Theatre Centre (Vancouver), Studio 303 (Montreal), Public Recordings (Toronto)
JAMIE NESBITT (2006)
"I wouldn't be the artist I am today without the training I received at Studio 58. Nothing could have prepared me better for a career in theatre. Nothing."
- Projection Designer - The Canadian Stage Theatre company, The Vancouver Playhouse, Bard on the Beach, The Arts Club, Gateway Theatre, The Electric Company, Pi Theatre, The Belfry, The Actors Repertory Company, The Yukon Arts Centre, Rumble Productions and many more
- Jamie’s work has toured North America with celebrated children’s theatre company Green Thumb Theatre
The recipient of 6 Jessie Richardson Award Nominations, the 2008 Mayor Arts award, the 2007 Sam Payne Newcomer Award, and the 2006 Earl Klein Memorial Scholarship
RACHEL PEAKE (2006)
“Studio 58 lays the groundwork for a professional career. The support of the teachers and staff, the connections made with the professional theatre community, and the demands of a program that included acting training as well as a year in production, provided me with the skills necessary for a life in the theatre.”
- Co-Artistic Director - Solo Collective, 2008-present
- Artist in Residence - Ruby Slippers Theatre, 2009
- Director - Écran de fumée, Théâtre la Seizième
- Director - Heptademic, Studio 58
- Assistant Director/Remount Director - The Glass Menagerie, Arts Club Theatre