Classification: Off Campus
Closing Date: March 20, 2017
Time Commitment: 4 months, 2hrs / week
Location: Elementaries across metro Vancouver
Learning Buddies Network
Number of positions: 8
Overview: Learning Buddies Network, founded by paediatrician Dr. Alisa Lipson, is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping struggling young children from inner-city elementary schools develop essential literacy and numeracy. Matching them with older positive role models, like you, help provide an opportunity for these struggling students to improve their self-esteem and allow them to believe, despite challenges they have faced, that they can succeed when someone is there to believe in them!
Position title: Volunteer Program Coordinator
- We are currently looking for 8 volunteer coordinators for our Reading Buddies and Math Buddies programs.
- Coordinators manage our 7-10 week tutoring programs at elementary schools across Metro Vancouver.
- Outside the sessions, coordinators are in charge of setting up the program by interviewing tutors, training tutors, and working with the school to find suitable students for our program.
- During sessions, coordinators work directly with tutors and their buddies to help facilitate the tutoring session to maximize each student's learning potential.
- Coordinators will receive support from staff throughout the duration of the program.
- In order to participate in this volunteer opportunity, volunteers must be able to commit to at least 30 hours plus travel time and be available from 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm, once a week.
Required skills and experience: You need TIME to devote to preparing for and attending tutoring sessions held each week. You need COMMITMENT to impart to your little buddy, who will respond with gratitude and improved skills and self- esteem. You need RESPONSIBILITY to be a reliable member of the team. You need a SENSE OF FUN and creativity!
- Gain experience in working with at-risk youth.
- Become a peer mentor and develop your leadership skills, organizational skills and professionalism.
- These experiences will help you in your studies and work endeavours in the future.
- Perhaps the most important reason to join our tutoring team, however, is the satisfaction you can feel in making a difference in a child’s life.