I have been accused of sexual violence. What do I do?

If you have been accused of violating Langara’s Sexual Violence and Misconduct Policy, there are campus services available to provide you with emotional support and help you understand your rights during any investigation and adjudication processes. Both complainants and respondents will be treated and have access to student support services.

In this context, a complainant is the term for the person who has reported an act of sexual violence. A respondent is the term for the person alleged to have committed an act of sexual violence.


I have a friend who was accused of violating the policy.

Listen to their concerns. Take some time to educate yourself about the policy and procedures so you can help your friend understand the College’s role in responding to complaints. If you are willing, offer to help your friend get information from campus resources. Offer to go with your friend or join them in meetings if they need your support. 

Try not to make judgemental statements about your friend or the complainant. Also be careful not to speak about the incident to others as it may jeopardize a fair investigation for both parties. Your role is to support your friend emotionally and be by their side during the process.




Counselling Services can provide one-to-one emotional support and help you manage any anxiety you may feel around the process. Please note that Counselling Services are not lawyers or advocates, and cannot advise you on what to do. Counselling Services are available in room B111, or call 604.323.5112 to make an appointment with a counsellor.


Langara Students’ Union

The Langara Student’s Union (LSU) has an Ombudsperson who can give you basic information and attend meetings with you as a support person. Drop by the LSU office or call them at 604.324.3881 and ask to speak with the Ombudsperson.


Office of Student Conduct and Judicial Affairs (SCJA)

The Student Conduct Officer in SCJA is available by appointment, to assist any student who is accused of a violation of the Sexual Violence and Misconduct Policy. The Officer can:

  • Help you understand your rights.
  • Explain and help you navigate the investigation and adjudication processes.
  • Refer you to campus and community resources.

It is important to know that the Student Conduct Officer is not a lawyer and cannot give you legal advice nor are they required to maintain confidentiality.



If the complaint against you is serious or if the complainant requests it, a formal investigation into the complaint may take place. If an investigation is to take place, you will be contacted by the investigator to meet and provide information about the allegation. While you are not obligated to participate in the investigation, the College will reach a decision about whether you violated the Sexual Violence and Misconduct Policy and impose sanctions, if appropriate, based on the investigation outcome. Both the complainant (the person who has reported an act of sexual violence) and the respondent (the person alleged to have committed an act of sexual violence) will receive a summary of the investigation report.


Support during the investigation process

Students may bring a support person who is a member of the college community to any investigation meeting or interview. A person who is not a member of the college community (including family) may not attend this meeting without prior consent of the investigator. Support persons may attend, but do not participate in or provide comment during the meeting.


If you would like a support person from the Langara campus to join you, you can consider the following:

  • LSU Ombudsperson (the LSU can be reached at 604.324.3881)
  • Ask someone else from the college who you trust to join you.


Interim measures

While an investigation is taking place, the College may arrange or implement measures that are necessary and appropriate to keep the parties safe and treated with respect. Interim measures may include, but are not limited to:

  • Alteration of the academic schedule of any student involved in a complaint of sexual violence or misconduct;
  • No-contact undertakings or no-contact directives between the parties;
  • Temporary, non -disciplinary leave of absence for the student alleged to have engaged in sexual violence or misconduct; and
  • Any other interim restrictions deemed appropriate by the College.


Students who are found responsible for violating the Sexual Violence and Misconduct Policy will be subject to sanctions. Sanctions are consequences imposed on an individual and include a range of actions or interventions suitable to the situation and may include suspension from the College. Examples of sanctions can be found on the Student Conduct & Judicial Affairs website.



Students who wish to appeal a sanction other than suspension imposed under the Sexual Violence and Misconduct Policy can submit an Application to Appeal to the Office of the Dean of Student Services within 14 days of receiving the decision. Please contact scja@langara.ca for the Application to Appeal.

For appeals of a suspension decision, a student may submit an Application to Appeal to the Chair of the Board of Governors. The Board will only consider appeals that relate to matters of procedural fairness. The Board will not conduct an investigation or review determination of fact.


More information about appeals can be found on pages 10-11 of Policy B3009 Procedures for Students (PDF).