Do you want to be a leader in the Langara community? Sign up to be a part of the GO Team. Applications are open until Thursday, June 27, 2019. Apply now.
How do I sign up?
- Fill out the online form to begin your application as part of the GO Team by Thursday, June 27, 2019.
- Attend a group interview on Friday, June 28, 2019. Read more about the GO Team interview process.
What is the GO Team?
The GO Team is made up of a group of dedicated volunteers who provide new students with their first Langara experience during New Student Orientation. GO Team volunteers make the transition to Langara easier and more fun while connecting new students with the people, tools, resources, and services they need in order to become successful Langara students. The GO Team makes New Student Orientation possible by providing programming to over 1,200 new students each fall.
This year, we will be recruiting over 100 volunteers to join the Summer 2019 GO Team for New Student Orientation and Semester Kickoff in August and September. We are looking for current Langara students who are outgoing, friendly, responsible, and passionate to join the team.
All GO Team volunteers will receive:
- special event training
- personal and professional development opportunities
- a chance to make a difference in the Langara community
- volunteer hours
- reflection and recognition opportunities
The GO Team is open to any Langara student. Please contact us with any accessibility concerns.
What kind of training will I receive?
All successful GO Team applicants will receive training in person and online.
In-person Training at Langara College
Working with and getting to know your fellow teammates is crucial and fun. Each GO Team member is responsible for attending the five interactive in-person sessions to build communication, cultural awareness, and leadership skills.
In-person sessions are approximately one to two (1–2) hours in length and may include games, puzzles, and reflection activities. Below is a list of the in-person sessions:
- Program Welcome: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 from 3:00 pm–5:00 pm
- Communication Training: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 from 4:30 pm–6:30 pm
- Cultural Awareness Training: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 from 4:30 pm–6:30 pm
- Leadership Training: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 from 4:30 pm–6:30 pm
- Event Skills Training: Thursday, August 15, 2019 from 12:30 pm–4:30 pm
Online Training on Brightspace – D2L
We will add successful applicants to the Summer 2019 GO Team Brightspace course. Please note that this is a non-credit training program and is not associated with any academic course or program.
Online Training components will not exceed one (1) hour of work per week and may include watching short videos, posting short video reflections, and checking for announcements.
The Summer 2019 GO Team supports the August New Student Orientation events. GO Team members are responsible for volunteering at least one full day shift.
The shifts for Summer 2019 are:
- Monday, August 19, 2019 from 8:00 am–3:00 pm
- Tuesday, August 20, 2019 from 8:00 am–3:00 pm
- Wednesday, August 21, 2019 from 8:00 am–3:00 pm
- Thursday, August 22, 2019 from 8:00 am–3:00 pm
Reflection and Recognition
GO Team members will work with the Program Facilitator to articulate what they learned through their GO Team experience.
Also, each GO Team volunteer will receive a thank-you letter for their contributions detailing how many hours they have worked and the impact of their work.
Questions? Contact Maggie Stewart at email@example.com