Below are some community contacts available to assist you when the Langara Counselling Department is closed (i.e. after 4:30pm Monday through Thursday and after 4:00pm on Fridays, as well as on weekends and holidays). If the first line you try is busy, you can call any of the other numbers, even if the numbers are not in your area.
General Crisis Counselling & Suicide Prevention
- Vancouver: 604-872-3311 (24 hours/day)
- Outside the Lower Mainland: 1-800-784-2433 (1-800-suicide)
- Burnaby/New West/Surrey: 604-951-8855 (24 hours/day)
- Outside the Lower Mainland: 1-877-820-7444 (24 hours/day)
- Richmond (Chimo): 604-279-7070 (8am to midnight)
The Crisis Centre of BC also offers an online chat line from: noon to 1am at www.crisiscentrechat.ca for adults or www.youthinbc.com for youth. For more information visit www.crisiscentre.bc.ca/get-help.
- Victimlink - 24 hours/day crisis support and information line for anyone who has experienced or is experiencing violence. Contact: 1-800-563-0808 toll-free number.
- immediate crisis support for the victims of family and sexual violence
- information about, and referral to, victim services and other resources
- basic legal information and awareness of rights
- violence in intimate relationships
- criminal harassment/stalking
- childhood physical or sexual abuse
- elder abuse
- help for all other victims of crime
Mental Health Urgent Services
- Vancouver General Hospital (VGH) Access & Assessment Centre (AAC)Provides a range of Mental Health & Substance Use services for Vancouver residents (ages 17+) for non-urgent, urgent and non-emergent intervention. AAC staff includes Registered Nurses, Registered Psychiatric Nurses, and Social Workers, Psychiatrists and reception staff. AAC is the single point of access to Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) Mental Health and/or Substance Use services in Vancouver and offer an alternative to the Emergency department for people having a non-life threatening Mental Health and/or Substance Use issue. Persons who are experiencing/presenting with a need for urgent intervention can be seen at AAC for assessment, provision and coordination of the most appropriate care – this may involve transfer to the Emergency Department or direction admission to a Psychiatric Inpatient Unit. AAC referral intakes can be self or family initiated.
AAC Contact Information: 7 days/week; 24 hours/day; 365 days/year
Address: Segal Family Health Centre building; 1st floor at 803 W 12 Ave (on Vancouver General Hospital grounds).
Sexual Assault Crisis Counselling:
- Women Against Violence Against Women (WAVAW): 604-255-6344 (24 hours/day)
- BC Society For Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse: 604-682-6482 or 1-888-682-6482
Sexual Assault Services:
- Vancouver General Hospital - Sexual Assault Service (Jim Pattison Pavilion) - Provides sensitive and comprehensive health care to women, men and trans-gendered individuals age 13 and over who have been sexually assaulted within seven days. Offers confidential care including assessment and treatment of injuries, sexually transmitted infections, and pregnancy prevention as well as forensic evidence collection and emotional support. Referrals to health, legal, and community-based support services are also provided. Team comprises of female nurses, nurse examiners, doctors and counsellors that provide care 24 hours a day. Go directly to the Vancouver General Hospital Emergency Department and ask for the Sexual Assault Service. Interpreters for people who have difficulty with English are available.
- Battered Women’s Support Services (BWSS) - Provides one-to-one support, advocacy, counselling, information and referral, and a variety of support groups for women who have experienced relationship violence, regardless of their race, culture, physical ability, or sexual orientation. Intake and Crisis Line: 604-687-1867
- Shelternet.ca provides information for women looking for a shelter or wanting to make plans to leave an abusive relationship. Information is available in French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, Tien, Vietnamese, Punjabi and Farsi. 1-877-384-8062 (4:30 pm - 11:00 pm Monday to Friday, 1:00 pm - 11:00 pm on weekends and holidays)
- AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) – University of British Columbia AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre
- MOSAIC – Provides Multicultural Victim Services to multicultural women, men, all genders, who are victims of all types of crime in Vancouver, free and confidential service. Also provides free and confidential Stopping the Violence Counselling to women experiencing abuse – services available in Hindi, Punjabi, Spanish and other languages.
- QMUNITY: BC’s Queer Resource Centre - Serves and supports (LGQTTS) people and their allies. Houses the Bute Street Clinic, which offers STI/HIV testing and counseling. Contact: 604-684-5307
- BC 211 - (24-hour information/referral line) dial 2-1-1 on any telephone