Where available, application requirements and deadlines are noted. In some cases, additional information may be available from Services for Aboriginal Students or Financial Aid. Students are reminded that they may also choose to apply for other Langara College scholarships, bursaries, and awards on the Financial Aid website that are not specific to Aboriginal students.
This should not be regarded as an authoritative listing of all available scholarships. Students are encouraged to refer to other scholarship listings and funding resources.
Irving K Barber Aboriginal Awards
Awards will be determined on a competitive basis to applicants who:
- Plan to study in a program with a minimum length of 9 weeks leading to a post-secondary credential;
- Are First Nations, Inuit or Metis (defined below);
- Are residents of British Columbia, defined as having had a primary residence at an address in the province for at least the past 12 consecutive months prior to the application deadline.
Annual deadline: March 31
New Relationship Trust: Aboriginal Scholarship Program
Available to BC Aboriginals only. More information and applications can be found on their website.
- 100 post secondary scholarships available @ $5,000/year
- 10 Masters degree scholarships available @ 10,000/year
- 6 Doctorate degree scholarships available @ $25,000/year
Annual Deadline: Varies, but typically in June.
Langara College Bursaries
Hand in your application before the 20th day of the first month of classes – each semester there are a certain number of bursaries specifically for First Nations students…don’t forget to apply! More information and applications can be found on the Langara Financial Aid Website.
Royal Bank Aboriginal Student award program
Each year, five students will receive $4,000.00 annually for their education expenses, to a maximum of four years at university or two years at college, in disciplines related (but not restricted) to the financial services industry. More information and application can be found on their website.
Annual Deadline: Check website. Applications for 2015 now closed.
First Citizens' Fund - Student Bursary Program
The First Citizens Fund student bursary program is designed to reward students for successful completion of their term of study. Funding is distributed to all students who meet the eligibility criteria on a first come, first serve basis.
Aboriginal (status, non-status, Metis, and Inuit) post-secondary students that are:
- Sponsored and Non-sponsored students
- Permanent residents in British Columbia for six months or more at the time of application
- International/U.S. studies are not eligible unless a part of your BC studies and/or program and will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Registered full-time in a minimum two-year academic program at any BC recognized post-secondary institution.
- Full time is considered as follows:
- undergraduate students, at least 3 full time credit courses per term
- students with a disability affecting academic performance, a least 2 full credit courses per term
- Graduate students, a letter from your academic advisor confirming satisfactory progress at a full time level (for a maximum of 3 years for Masters Students, and 5 years for Doctorate students).
Visit their website for more information and applications.
Annual Deadline: May 2016
Post-Secondary Student Support Program (PSSSP)
The Post-Secondary Student Support Program (PSSSP) provides financial assistance to eligible students towards the cost of their post-secondary education. Subject to the continuation of the BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres (BCAAFC) service contract with the Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC), students in the following categories are eligible:
- Northwest Territory or Nunavut Inuit students who have been residing in British Columbia for 12 consecutive months;
- British Columbia registered members who do not have Band membership or an affiliation with a Band (BC General List); and
- Status Indian students who are affiliated with a BC First Nation as indicated on Status Card but do not have Band membership.
More information and applications can be found on their website.
yconic offers a large database of awards for all students. Create an account and they'll do the searching for you.