Feb 21, 2012
Wendy is an international student currently in the commerce program at Langara College.
Photo taken by Anchi Lin
1. What is your name?
My name is Wendy Wong.
2. Where are you originally from?
I originally come from Taipei city, Taiwan.
3. How many languages do you speak aside from English?
Mandarin is my first language. English is my second foreign language after German.
4. How long have you been living in Vancouver, or any other English-speaking country?
I have been living in Vancouver for over 2 and a half years.
5. How do you improve your conversational English? Do you have any tips that you would like to share with other international students?
My conversational English improved when I started working part time at a Canadian clothing store, where I frequently encounter locals.
My tip for international students who really want to improve their English is to join a club that matches their interests. It's how you get comfortable to start talking with like-minded people.
6. How did you improve your English listening skills?
I enjoy watching American TV shows a lot. Of course they don’t come with Mandarin subtitles. I also listen to the radio every day.
7. What tips do you have for International students who are very shy to talk to English speakers?
I am always telling myself that I am already half awesome speaking some English while locals may not speak my language.
8. Finally, What is one key element that you have which helps improve your English?
I always stay optimistic. Because of this I don’t see myself as afraid of making mistakes. Learning English is the same - keep talking and trying. The process will help you become more confident. With confidence you will find out that English can be fun and may not seem as intimidating as you might have thought.
Written by Anchi Lin