Off-campus work allows eligible international students to work part-time off-campus while completing an academic program at Langara. You do not need a work permit in order to work off campus, as your study permit gives you permission to accept off campus employment as long as you’re registered in full-time studies. There are conditions that must be met to work off campus. Please make sure to read below to learn about the conditions to be eligible to work off campus.

You may work off-campus, starting the first day of the term, if you have a valid study permit and you are a full-time international student in a degree, diploma, or certificate program at Langara.  Full-time studies at Langara is considered to be 9 or more credits per term.  ESL (i.e. LEAP) students are not eligible to work off-campus.


Hours of work permitted

Eligible students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the regular academic year (September to April) and full-time during scheduled breaks (summer, winter, and mid-term breaks).

Students need a social insurance number (SIN) to work in Canada.  


Scheduled breaks (for off-campus work)

Many open-enrolment programs have a designated semester break.  Please review the webpage on Scheduled Breaks to verify if your program allows for a semester break.


According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, a scheduled break should not be more than four months consecutively in a calendar year, and eligible students must hold full-time enrollment before and after the scheduled break (i.e. in the previous Spring Semester and the following Fall Semester).


The reading week, breaks between terms, and the summer term are considered scheduled breaks for immigration purposes at Langara, unless otherwise specified.