The i-Guide Mentorship Program matches current students with new international students during their first semester at Langara College. I-Guide mentors have studied at Langara for at least one semester - they provide guidance, advice, support, and friendship to new or less experienced student.
For many international students the first semester in a new country can be lonely and can cause stress as they struggle with the cultural adjustment. The i-Guide program helps new students adapt more easily and feel connected to the college community.
How does the program work?
- Students will be paired by the International Education department based on the information provided in the application forms
- Mentors and mentees will first meet in person at a welcome social and reception at the beginning of the semester
- Mentors will reach out to their assigned student at least once per week for one semester
- Activities may include:
- Meeting for coffee or lunch
- Answering questions about Langara, Vancouver, and Canadian culture
- Helping new students with the essential (library, transit, shopping, banking, or mobile phone services)
- Participating in social, cultural, or recreational activities at Langara or in Vancouver
UPDATE: Spring 2018 mentor and mentee applications are closed. Please look out for summer i-Guide opportunities in April, 2018.