Applying for your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) from within Canada

A TRV from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) allows you to enter Canada. 

If you obtained a TRV in order to study in Canada and it has since expired, you will have to renew it if you plan to travel outside of Canada (except to the Continental US) and then re-enter to continue your studies.

If you need to renew your TRV while you are studying in Canada, you may do so within Canada.

Please note that you should apply for a new TRV at least two months before you plan to travel outside Canada to allow for application processing.  Make sure you do not have any plans to leave the country during that time as you will need to submit your original passport with your application.

You will need a confirmation letter from Langara.  If you are a Regular Studies student, you can pick up a ‘Confirmation of Enrolment Letter Request Form’ from the IE Office and hand in the completed form to the Registrar’s Office.  You may also need an official transcript which can requested directly at the Registrar’s Office or online through your myLangara account. If you are a LEAP student, you can request this letter from the Continuing Studies Counter (in the A Building, 1st Floor).  You may also need an official transcript which can requested directly at the Continuing Studies Counter. There is a charge for both documents.

For the most up-to-date instructions on how to apply for your TRV, refer to the CIC website.

If you have any general questions about the process to extend your study permit, please speak with an International Student Coordinator in the International Education (IE) Office (Room A107), or contact the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100.  Please note that the IE staff are not authorized to give immigration advice and cannot complete forms on your behalf.

Please note that it is your responsibility to know and understand the International Student Immigration Regulations.  For more information about the Regulations, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.