Extending your Study Permit

Important Note:  There have been recent changes to international student immigration regulations that took effect on June 1, 2014.  Please refer to the CIC website for more details.

If you plan to stay in Canada to continue your studies beyond the validity of your current study permit, you will need to apply to extend your study permit.  You should begin the process to extend your study permit about three months before its expiry. As long as you submit your application before the expiry of your study permit, you have 'implied status' which means you can continue to study as you wait for your new study permit.


To learn more about how to extend your study permit, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.  You can extend your study permit online or on paper. Make sure to check the processing times for each option before submitting your application.

You will need an official letter from Langara which confirms your student status.  If you are a Regular Studies student, you can pick up the 'Request form for letter of extension of student permit' from the IE Office and hand in the completed form to the IE Office (Room A107).  If you are a LEAP student, you can make a request for the letter from the Continuing Studies Counter (in the A Building, 1st Floor).  Please note that you will have to pay the appropriate International Student Deposit for the next semester you will be studying in, before the letter will be issued.  The processing time for the letter is approximately one week and it will be sent to your mylanga email account. 

If you have any general questions about the process to extend your study permit, please speak with an International Student Coordinator in the International Education (IE) Office (Room A107), or contact the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100.  Please note that the IE staff are not authorized to give immigration advice and cannot complete forms on your behalf.

Please note that it is your responsibility to know and understand the International Student Immigration Regulations.  For more information about the Regulations, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.