Studying in Canada? Make sure you have the right travel documents.

Important information from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for international, visiting or exchange students from visa-exempt countries (other than the U.S.). Please read this notice carefully.

Planning to travel outside Canada and return by air? Make sure you have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), otherwise you may get stuck at the airport.

What is an eTA and why do I need it?

An eTA is an entry requirement for citizens from countries, other than the U.S., that do not need a visa to come to Canada. It is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires.

Do I need an eTA if I already have a study permit?

Yes! A study permit is not a travel document. However, beginning August 1, 2015, an eTA is automatically issued to you with your study permit. You will need to apply for an eTA separately only if:

  • your permit was issued before August 1, 2015
  • you renewed or plan to renew your study permit and do not have a valid eTA
  • you got a new passport since you received your permit.

How do I apply for an eTA?

Applying for an eTA is a simple, inexpensive ($7 CAD) online process that takes just minutes to complete.

All you need to apply is a valid passport, a credit or a debit card, and an email address.

For more information or to apply, visit the IRCC website.

Note: * Students from visa-exempt countries coming to Canada for a short-term study program (less than 6 months) do not need a study permit, but will need to apply for an eTA to be able to board a flight to Canada.