For international students (those who do not hold Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency in Canada), a Study Permit is required for programs that are longer than six months.

Study Permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and application forms are available online or by paper.

Langara’s DLI number is O19319074622 (first character is the letter “O”).

You will need these documents, at a minimum, to apply:

  • Passport with at least 6 months left before expiry

  • Two passport-size photos with names and date of birth written on the back

  • Letter of Acceptance (LOA)

  • Proof of financial support

Depending on your citizenship, you may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) to enter Canada, in addition to your Study Permit. Visit the IRCC website for more details. 

If you are transferring to Langara from another educational institution, you must notify Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) when you change institutions in your MyCIC account.

Students are responsible to know and understand the International Student Immigration Regulations. For more information, visit the IRCC website.

Clearing customs

Carry your original documents with you when travelling – do not pack originals in any checked baggage. To prepare, you should have the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Study Permit or Letter of Introduction (issued by Canada Visa Office to confirm that your study permit has been granted)
  • Letter of Acceptance from Langara
  • Proof of funds
  • Proof of registration
  • Accommodation information

A Canadian customs officer will ask you questions about the purpose of your visit and will verify your documents. Answer all questions accurately. After the interview you will be directed to the Canada Immigration Office. If you are not directed to the Canada Immigration Office, ask about getting your Study Permit processed – do not leave the airport or border without your Study Permit.

An immigration officer will complete your Study Permit. Be patient and cooperative to help the process.

Before leaving, verify the information on your study permit is accurate. It is much easier to correct any errors before entering Canada.

Once you arrive

Langara is required to report to the IRCC on your continued enrolment and academic status.

In your first week at Langara bring a copy of your valid study permit to the IE Office.

All study permit holders must actively pursue studies while in Canada. For students at Langara, this means you must be registered in 9 or more credits.

If you plan to take time away from your studies, please speak with an International Student Coordinator. Failure to remain enrolled in programs and to make timely progress towards the completion of your program may affect your status in Canada.

Click here for more information on extending your stay in Canada.