Langara is adhering to all Orders declared by the Provincial Health Officer. Regular monitoring of Orders and public health guidance is part of routine operations and plans, protocols, and processes will be updated routinely to reflect the dynamic nature of the COVID-19 pandemic.
All air passengers require proof of a negative COVID-19 test before travelling to Canada and will be required to spend 3 nights in a government approved hotel facility. This requirement does not replace the required 14-day quarantine. For specific test requirements and frequently asked questions and answers regarding the COVID-19 negative testing requirements, please review the information posted on the Government of Canada website.
Mandatory quarantine for travellers entering Canada
Quarantine is mandatory, even for people without symptoms. All international travellers arriving in British Columbia (BC) must follow the instructions on the Government of BC’s website to submit a self-isolation (quarantine) plan for approval prior to travel to BC (unless the traveller qualifies for an exemption). Students must also submit a quarantine plan to the College to receive a supporting travel letter. Our quarantine support staff will review your quarantine plan.
People arriving from outside of Canada are required to quarantine (self-isolate). Do not go to work, school, restaurants, or grocery stores during quarantine. Monitor for signs of illness for 14 days after you arrive in Canada.
The quarantine period includes a 3-night stay at a government-approved hotel and a remaining 11-day quarantine stay. You must reserve both the 3-night stay and the remaining 11-day quarantine location before you come to Canada. All quarantine accommodations are paid for by the student. Confirmation of reservations must be included in your quarantine plan when it is submitted to the College.
When you arrive in Canada by air or land, the government will assess your health before you leave the port of entry.
Government-Approved Mandatory Hotel and Remaining Quarantine
From February 22, 2021, all air travellers are required to reserve a room in a government of Canada-approved hotel for the 3 nights of the 14 days of quarantine. The government website has more information including contact details to reserve your hotel stay. A hotel reservation confirmation email is required when you enter Canada and when you submit your quarantine plan to Langara College.
Only students with a Study Permit Approval letter or Valid Study Permit are permitted to travel to Canada. If you have one of these documents, please review the information below then submit a Quarantine Plan in order to receive a supporting Travel Letter.
When you arrive at your quarantine location, quarantining (self-isolating) means you do not have contact with other people. This will require you to:
- Set up a space that is only for the person being isolated.
- Stay at home and watch yourself for symptoms, even if mild, for 14 days.
- Stay out of contact with other people. This will help stop the spread of disease in your home and in your community.
You cannot leave your place of residence for 14 days. You can go outside if there is a yard or private area, but you cannot go shopping, visit other homes, or go out anywhere.
You must monitor your health for 14 days. Download the COVID-19 App and Daily Symptom Tracker.
If you start having COVID-19 symptoms, then isolate yourself from others. Symptoms include:
- Fever, equal to or greater than 38°C
- Difficulty Breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Signs of fever, shivering, flushed skin, excessive sweating
Review the traveller expectations during hotel stay.
Travel tips for your journey
- Wear a mask (and bring extra)
- Practice social distancing (2 meters distance)
- Wash hands frequently
- Use hand sanitizer regularly and as necessary
- Sanitize personal space and high-touch areas such as seat belts and tray tables
- Minimize trips to the washroom (flush the toilet with the seat cover down)
- Touch as few surfaces as possible
- Keep your cell phone charged
- Bring some snacks as restaurants or stores may be closed
- Bring a refillable water bottle
- Hotel accommodations for immediate arrival. You must pre-book a mandatory 3-night stay at one of these governement approved hotels. Please be aware:
- Due to large number of calls, current wait times are approximately 2 hours.
- If the reservation is made with a credit card, it will be charged at the time of booking. Standard refund policies might not apply.
- If the reservation is made with a credit card not owned by the traveller (for example – a parent of a student), please contact the hotel directly to see if you require a 3rd party authorization form when checking in.
- The remainder of the full 14-day quarantine period can be completed at a different location. A list of alternate accommodations is available for your reference.
Students will need to arrange their own quarantine accommodations prior to arrival in Canada. Rates are set by the accommodations provider and are subject to change.
After you have completed your 3-nights hotel stayover and moved into your place of quarantine for the remainder of the isolation period you may need assistance with food and other personal items.Many services will deliver food and essentials. It is important to plan ahead with enough food and supplies for your isolation period. The demand for delivery services has increased and deliver times may be limited or take longer than expected.
The following list includes some popular delivery services in metro Vancouver area and is not a comprehensive list. Some services will charge a delivery fee, and delivery times may be limited due to the high demand. The providers are listed as a resource for students looking for food delivery services. Langara College is not affiliated or endorsed by these companies and assumes no liability for any disputes arising from services listed here.
Online ordering will not accept cash. Visa and MasterCard are the most common forms of payment.
Transportation from the airport
When arriving in Vancouver, you have some options to get to your quarantine hotel location. When you travel to your second quarantine locations, there are options:
Students in Langara's homestay program may have arrangements to be picked up by homestay host families following the 3-day government hotel stay.
We look forward to supporting you as you prepare to begin your studies with us at Langara College. Please do not hesitate to contact your International Student Coordinator if you have questions or concerns.
- Medical insurance for international students
- Langara COVID-19 updates
- FAQs for students
- FAQs for international students
- Mental health and well-being resources
- Dos and don’ts of self-isolation (British Columbia Ministry of Health)
- COVID-19 information for international students (Global Affairs Canada)
- COVID-19: Who can travel to Canada –current travel requirements and immigration related updates (Government of Canada)
- COVID-19: Travel restrictions, exemptions and advice (Government of Canada)
- Mandatory quarantine information for travellers without symptoms of COVID-19 (Government of Canada)
- Information about COVID-19, how to protect yourself, your family and your community and what to do if you suspect you have the virus (BC Centre for Disease Control)
The above information was deemed correct at the time of publication. Information is subject to change based on government travel advisories. Please review links to travel advisories often to be sure you have the most current and updated information.