Arriving in Vancouver
Langara College is located in South Vancouver with easy access to essential shops and services, and public transportation. Download a community map (pdf).
If you are arriving from Vancouver International Airport (YVR), and do not have someone picking you up, you can get to your destination a number of ways:
- Public transportation
- Courtesy Shuttle Buses (if you are temporarily staying in a hotel)
The airport website has the most current information to help you plan your trip into Vancouver. www.yvr.ca
Plan out your first week
- Phone home – your family will want to know that you arrived safely
- Visit the International Education (IE) Department in A107 and bring a copy of your valid study permit
- Pick up your Langara ID student card
Connect with others
- Pick up an activities and workshops calendar from IE and apply for Langara PLUS
- Make an appointment with an International Student Counsellor in the Counselling Department (B111) to plan your studies
- Set up your Langara accounts
Join IE social media groups to stay current with events on campus
Walk around the campus to find your classrooms, bookstore, library, and other facilities
Walk around your new residential neighbourhood and get familiar with shops and services in your community
- Pick up your U-Pass Compass Card and visit downtown Vancouver
ALL students are welcomed to campus each semester, with other special welcome activities in the first weeks before the start of the September fall term.
International students are invited to register for International Student Orientation (ISO).This orientation is offered before terms beginning in September, January and May. If you have registered in courses, you will be eligible to attend the ISO and willl receive an email invitation before your arrival in Vancouver.
ISO offers a series of workshops to help with your transition to Langara.
- Library and Learning Commons
- Canadian Classroom Expectations
- Counselling Services
- Faculty Panel
- Cultural Adjustments
Students in LEAP will be invited to attend a special orientation at the start of their first session at Langara.
The International Education Office offers a series of workshops that vary each semester. Please refer to our events page for more information.
Other on-campus workshops for all students are available throughout the year:
There are a series of workshops designed for LEAP students. Information is available in class and on the LEAP Events page.