Join us at one of our upcoming English Forums.
Hosted by Langara English instructors and guests, the English Forum is a free monthly gathering in which to explore and discuss fiction, film, television, and culture of all kinds. Make new friends and discover new stories. Light refreshments served. Open to all Langara students and employees, but RSVPs are required.
Upcoming English Forums
March 2017 English Forum
Title: Writing Lives: A Model for Student Engagement?
Speaker: Rachel Mines
What is the value of interdisciplinary studies? What do students gain through experiential learning in the community? In this forum, English Instructor Rachel Mines will use Langara’s Writing Lives Project as a learning model that can potentially be adapted to other courses and programs.
Writing Lives: The Holocaust Memoir Project is a two-semester program in its final semester offered through Langara's English and History Departments.
In the first semester, students learned about the Holocaust through examining literary and historical texts. This semester, students are teamed up with Vancouver Holocaust survivors to interview them and write their memoirs, which will be archived and possibly published.
The format of Writing Lives is interdisciplinary. In the classroom, guest lecturers provide instruction on Holocaust history, survivor psychology, research ethics, interview strategies, and more. Students also learn experientially in the community, most notably in the Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre. Articles on the program have appeared in the Langara Voice, VHEC's Zachor magazine and the Jewish Independent, which is presently running a three-part series featuring student writing. Pamela Post, a radio journalist for the CBC, is working on a documentary. Finally, Writing Lives students are contributing in a material way to survivors and the research community in general.
Can the Writing Lives model be adapted to other courses and programs at Langara?
Thursday, March 23, 3:30 – 5:30 pm in C121 (ThinkTank)
JOIN US: RSVP required: contact Kina Cavicchioli at 604.323.5385 or
email@example.com. Light refreshments served.
- Beats, rhymes and life: the state of hip hop
- Wrong side of France: the dark fiction and darker reality of les banlieues
- Public health campaigns: when rhetoric is reality
- Pop Stars and Feminists: Allies or Adversaries?
- Voices in Your Head: Podcasts as Form, Narrative, and Genre
- Fairy Tales and their Wicked Lessons
- Game of Thrones: Sexy or Sexist?
- The Literature of Happiness
- Happy 200th Birthday Pride and Prejudice
- Bioshock: The Future of Narrative?
- Rise of the Period Drama
- Life in the World of The Walking Dead
- Ice Queens and Firecrackers: Searching for Strong Women in Disney’s Frozen
- Poetry & Creative Writing Workshop with Roger Semmens
- Reading Bad: Breaking Bad with the Literary Canon
- Post-Photography: A Conversation with Evan Lee