At Langara College, international students are encouraged to participate in Co-op Education and the Post Degree Diploma work experience program options. You must, however, have the proper Work Permit to allow you to work in Canada. Other than this, the same rules apply to international students as to other students. Once you have been accepted into Co-op or your work experience, the steps include: 

  • During your initial meeting with your Co-op instructor, you will be provided with a letter stating that you will be participating in Co-op for your program. 
  • Attach the letter to your Work Permit Application. Next, apply for the appropriate work permit. The team at Langara Global can help you. They will look over your application to make sure you have requested the correct work permit and that you have completed the form accurately. 
  • Go to Service Canada's website and apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). There is no cost to apply for a SIN. You need a SIN to work in Canada. Employers must request and view an employee’s SIN card and record the number within three days of starting employment. Remember that the SIN card is not an identity card and is not an authorization to work in Canada. 

Pro Tip: Make sure you start the process early as it can take weeks or months to process your application, Processing Times for Temporary Residents.

When you receive your work permit, you will be able to apply for Co-op jobs.