Success in co-operative education depends upon the three-way partnership between the employer, the student, and the College. Our Co-op Program is accredited by the Canadian Association for Co-operative Education (CAFCE) and follows the standards set within the association.
As an employer, we ask you to:
- Provide the College with an accurate and informative job description.
- Review resumes and select candidates to be interviewed.
- Interview selected students on campus or at your work site.
- Send the hired student a letter outlining the work term offer including start- and end-dates, hours of work, location, supervisor’s name, and rate of pay.
- Honour the term of the work contract. However, if a student is terminated before the end of a semester for any reason, notify the co-op office immediately.
- Comply with all provincial and federal employment legislation.
Once the student has joined your organization:
- Provide the co-op student with an orientation to your organization during their first week. Introduce the student to co-workers and managers, discuss work term expectations, outline company goals, and review company confidentiality expectations.
- Provide the student with a supervisor.
- Give feedback on a regular basis and contact your co-op representative when required to provide feedback directly to them.
- Participate in an on-site meeting with the student and co-op instructor.
- At the end of each four-month work term, complete a student evaluation form and review the results with the student.
Co-operative education is a time-proven approach, used worldwide, for developing employment-ready graduates and introducing employers to students in specialized fields of work. Because co-op programs alternate study semesters with productive, full-time employment, employers are able to shape the development of potential employees and preview new recruits before they reach the job market as full-time employees.
For ongoing information on the Co-op and Career Development Centre workshops, events and employer opportunities visit our career services webpages.