HEAD COACH, WOMEN’S BASKETBALL
Part Time Contract Position
The Department of Athletics & Intramurals at Langara College is currently accepting applications for the position of Head Basketball Coach for their Intercollegiate Women’s Basketball program, for a one year term, effective April 30, 2018. This contract is renewable.
Reporting to the Director, Athletics and Intramurals, the Women’s Basketball coach will provide leadership to the program through the coaching, development, and recruitment required in organizing a competitive and successful team, while promoting the academic success of the student athletes under their supervision. The position requires that you have values consistent with the high standards of the Department and Langara College and that the program abides by Langara College’s Coaching Code of Conduct as well as the PACWEST Code of Ethics.
You will be responsible for, but not limited to, the recruitment and development of players, organizing and conducting practices, coaching league games, developing a competitive program that encourages sportsmanship, integrity, and teamwork.
- Demonstrate strong communication, presentation, organizational, leadership, administrative, budget management and interpersonal skills.
- The skill and ability to problem solve and exercise good judgment, take initiative, as well as maintain tact and composure in a highly competitive environment.
- Three to five years experience coaching basketball preferably at the post secondary or senior high level.
- Fully certified NCCP Level 3 preferred.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in related field (Masters Degree preferred) equivalency in education, training and experience considered.
- In-depth knowledge of rules and regulations of the sport.
- Familiarity with the local and provincial sport community.
- Flexible schedule that allows for afternoon/evening practices and weekend travel
- Must hold a valid driver’s license.
- Completion of successful criminal record check required.
Contract salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please forward your resume, to Jake McCallum, Director, Athletics and Intramurals by e-mail to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Langara College. However, only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
SWAP: GAME DAY EVENT STAFF
Description of Position, Including Skills Required:
GAME DAY EVENT STAFF will work as a team to ensure the successful execution of Langara Athletics events at every game. We require staff to perform the following:
- All staff must assist with the setup, maintenance and tear down of home game events.
- Table Staff –
- Scorekeeper: Responsible for completing game scoresheets according to PACWEST/CCAA sport specific rules. They must communicate directly with visiting and home team coaches to ensure roster information is correct. Knowledge of FIBA/FIFA rules is an asset.
- Scoreclock Operator: Responsible for scoring games and ensuring timing protocol regulations are followed using the electronic scoreboard (Daktronics). They must communicate with game officials in regards to the game clock, calls and start-of-game procedures. Knowledge of FIBA rules is an asset.
- Stats Keeper: Responsible for recording all required statistical information with the use of a stats software (i.e CyberSports). An in depth knowledge of basketball rules (FIBA) is required, as well as attention to detail and accuracy.
- Stats Spotter: Responsible for supporting the Stats keeper by communicating statistical information such as rebounds, assists, fouls, steals, etc.
- Ticket Sales – Responsible for selling tickets, display set-up, completing summary sheets for attendance and any other duties as required. Must positively engage and assist guests with any questions they may have. Cash handling experience is an asset.
- Camera Operations – Responsible for filming/live streaming basketball games. Must ensure fulfillment of game tape exchange protocol by filming the entirety of all conference games, editing captures into periods, quarters etc. and ensuring that both teams receive copies of the video immediately following each match
- Ball Retrieval Crew (Soccer) – Responsible for event set up and take down. During the game must collect balls that come out of play, provide teams with a ball when appropriate, and clear the field of any objects to ensure the safety of the players and officials. Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs is an asset.
The shifts will be between 4-8 hours for basketball and soccer home games over the 2017-18 Season.
- Ability to work with a team
- Self-starter with excellent time management & communication skills
- Knowledge of Basketball and Soccer game rules is an asset
- Scorekeeping experience is an asset
- Experience using a digital scoreclock (Daktronics)
- Cash handling and ticket sales experience
- Camera operating and basic computer skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
Instructions to apply:
- Must be approved for the SWAP program (See: langara.ca/student-services/financial-aid/swap.html)
- Submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org