Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time
Start: As soon as possible
Under direction from the Digital Manager, the Web Developer administers one of the College’s most important communication channels – our website. The Web Developer works collaboratively with the Communications & Marketing Services and Development team, within the College's brand standards and policies, to ensure the College’s responsive website and mobile applications (apps) function effectively across all devices, screen sizes, and browsers.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Diploma or Associate’s degree in web development, computer science, digital media, or related discipline, including training in web technologies. Relevant Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least (5) years of proven experience maintaining and supporting complex websites, mobile apps, and digital marketing materials.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap.
- Knowledge of PHP. Java and Object Oriented Programming is an asset.
- Knowledge of interacting with APIs, JSON, and XML.
- Familiarity with web security best practices.
- Knowledge of W3C guidelines as it applies to web accessibility an asset.
- Knowledge of Google Analytics and the ability to interpret reports to support digital campaigns and improve usability.
- Strong debugging skills and knowledge of cross-browser/platform compatibility.
- Ability to build web applications from design mockups and wireframes.
- Experience with enterprise-class content management systems: Cascade CMS (a strong asset), WordPress, and other content management tools.
- Experience with theme and plugin development for WordPress.
- Experience with tools such as GitHub, BrowserStack, Jira, Confluence, Google Docs and Google Analytics for version control, analysis, testing, documentation and task management.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud, specifically DreamWeaver, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Proficient with computer software applications including word processing (MS Word), spreadsheets (Excel), and presentation software (PowerPoint, Keynote).
- Familiarity with email marketing tools such as Campaigner an asset.
- Familiarity with brand and marketing principles an asset.
- Experience working in both Mac and Windows environments.
- Experience working in a post-secondary education environment an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and written.
- Ability to deliver high quality and maintainable code/markup and technical solutions to meet project needs on time and within budget.
- Ability to innovate, problem-solve, and take initiative.
- Ability to clearly and persuasively articulate ideas and recommendations to diverse non-technical audiences and constructively integrate feedback.
- Ability to train non-technical users on how to effectively and efficiently use content management and other related systems.
- Ability to analyze new trends and technologies and recognize how to apply them to Langara's marketing communications goals.
- Effective organizational skills and a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work well under pressure. Takes pride in meeting deadlines and exceeding expectations.
- A collaborative team player, willing to work with others to resolve problems, and able to exercise judgment and initiative to identify and respond to issues before they become problematic.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. A logical thinker, who understands information architecture as it applies to large and complex websites.
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external web and application designers and developers.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills with the capacity to work harmoniously with others.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Salary Range: Under Review
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 5:15pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C163-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on October 22, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.*
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.