INTERNAL POSTING ONLY !
Start Date: As soon as possible
The Transfer and Articulation Assistant supports the Transfer and Articulation Specialist and the Admissions Office in their duties. This individual will be the central person responsible for collecting and organizing all materials pertaining to transfer credit such as request forms, transcripts and course outlines. This position will evaluate routine transfer credit requests and forward others to the Specialist and Admissions Advisor, and will also follow up on department advice requests when needed to ensure timely processing of requests. This individual inputs assigned and unassigned credit into student’s transcripts via Banner, and will therefore be expected to have excellent Banner knowledge and a high level of attention to detail. The Transfer and Articulations Assistant provides support to the Specialist for all aspects of articulation including keeping a timetable of when articulations are due to be assessed and re-assessed, and assisting with coordination of articulating new courses. The individual will be responsible for organizing and categorizing information relating to partnership agreements and MOUs that Langara has with other post-secondary institutions, including cataloguing copies of signed agreements and maintaining the course outlines database. Additionally, this position will support the Admissions area when needed. The incumbent is a member of the Admissions team and works to provide assistance and information to applicants, the Langara community and the public, regarding the College’s program admission requirements and related academic policies and student services.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 graduation plus two years successful completion of post-secondary studies.
- Two (2) years of recent related experience within an educational environment using an integrated on-line system such as Banner, preferably within a Registrar's Office.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Thorough knowledge of the BC Education system and the rules, regulations and policies governing the admission of students in post-secondary institutions.
- Knowledge of programs, courses and student services offered at Langara College.
- Excellent knowledge of prerequisite, transfer credit, articulation and advance standing practices.
- Experience in working with transfer credit evaluation.
- Proficiency in computer skills, including word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (Excel) and email. Experience in creating graphs, charts, and forms is an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including the demonstrated ability to communicate in a diverse, multi-cultural environment. Ability to communicate effectively with non-native English speakers with varying degrees of English proficiency.
- Exemplary organizational skills and ability to manage a wide range of responsibilities and set priorities to balance conflicting demands effectively. Ability to multitask in a high volume environment with frequent interruptions, while fulfilling the demands of the position at peak periods (e.g. application deadlines and registration periods). Ability to stay focussed and maintain an extremely high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent work ethic. Experience in problem-solving. Ability to deal effectively with challenging or difficult situations.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively, and as a member of a team--working harmoniously.
- Ability to easily adapt to the changing needs of the department.
- Professional attitude. Ability to exercise tact, discretion, good judgement and diplomacy. Ability to provide information, assistance, and related services to students, staff, faculty, administrators and the public in a tactful, pleasant and helpful manner.
- Ability to apply college policies fairly and consistently as they would relate to each situation.
- The ability to work with a diverse population of students and colleagues. Demonstrates sensitivity to diversity and a respect for differences.
- Ability to handle confidential (academic) information responsibly.
- Strong computer skills, including word processing (MS Word), proficiency in using spreadsheets (i.e. Excel) and database software (MS Access).
- Accurate keyboarding skills at a minimum 45 wpm.
Salary Range: $1,554.81 - $1,761.55 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 18, under review)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30 am – 4:45 pm Monday to Friday, however, hours will vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Closing Date: August 10, 2017
Competition No.: C141-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.