Start Date: As soon as possible until March 31, 2018
Reporting to the Supervisor, Records & Registration, the Transcript and Scanning Assistant is responsible for receiving and processing requests for transcripts according to established policies and procedures. This position is also responsible for indexing, document imaging and archiving documents for Registrar & Enrolment Services, conforming to and organizing the retention schedule procedures. This position performs routine data entry of information, including entering, verifying and ensuring accuracy of student records, adhering to records management protocol. This position provides records for Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIPOP) requests and produces individualized confirmation of enrolment letters for students. This position also acts as a back up to the Registration Helpline and Front Counter Services in the Registrar & Enrolment Services division.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 plus up to one year of post secondary education in Office Administration, Communication, Business, Records Management or other related areas.
- One (1) year of recent customer service experience, preferably in a Registrar & Enrolment Services division.
- Records management and retention experience an asset.
- Previous experience working with document imaging systems an asset (e.g., Banner Document Management Suite).
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge of privacy related policy and procedures desirable.
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated high degree of proficiency in English and the ability to effectively communicate tactfully (both orally and in writing) with others.
- Excellent indexing, sorting, and organizational skills.
- Ability to meet and effectively deal with and provide information, assistance and related services to the public, faculty, staff and students in a pleasant and helpful manner.
- Ability to evaluate student transcripts and/or records, and their retention cycle.
- Ability to maintain concentration and accuracy.
- Excellent attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines and set priorities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to process cash, cheques, credit card, etc. accurately.
- Ability to use a transcript printer, cash register, interact machine, and scanner.
- Ability to remain calm during periods of stressful high volume and to meet deadlines as required.
- Ability to stay focused over prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to deal with difficult situations/people.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to use mature judgment.
- Basic word processing skills (45 wpm).
- Proficiency in computer skills including basic word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (Excel), and familiarity with an integrated computer system (i.e. Banner).
Salary Range: $1,508.56 - $1,706.59 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 17)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 9:00 am – 5:15 pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: May 26, 2017
Competition No.: C077-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.