Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume and cover) will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time (2 Vacancies)
Start Date: October 1, 2019
Reporting to the Manager of IT Infrastructure, the Systems Administrator deploys and maintains core IT Infrastructure services, business applications, network, security systems, telephony services, backup and data center environments. The Systems Administrator is the first support level to resolve day to day tickets escalated from the IT Service Desk and is responsible for monitoring Infrastructure services. Collaborating with the other teams, the administrator coordinates regular maintenance upgrades and participates in Enterprise projects.
The Systems Administrator provides coaching and mentorship to junior staff, small scale training and presentation to users, and participates in the making of IT policies and procedures to meet regulatory compliance and governance.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Two (2) year diploma in computer systems technology, computing studies, or equivalent technology diploma, with focus on server services and network operating systems.
- Completion of recognized industry certification(s) with emphasis on servers, storage, network and cloud technologies in Microsoft, Linux, VMWare, Citrix, Linux, Juniper Networks, Cisco Networks, Palo Alto Firewall, Azure and AWS.
- ITIL 3 or above certifications.
- Four plus (4+) years of combined experience covering the following areas:
- Desktop support in client-services and cloud environments;
- System administration of servers, network and IP telephony technologies, primarily in areas of enterprise server services, enterprise storage, VOIP management, network switch management, network administration and backup.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
- Current experience managing and supporting virtualization technologies for servers and desktop in midsize production environment. VMWare and Citrix technologies preferred.
- Current experience managing and supporting operating systems for network devices, servers and desktops, including Juniper networks, Microsoft Active Directory, Windows 2012, 2016 and 2019 Servers, Unix/Linux based systems (Redhat preferred), Windows 10 and Apple OSX environments.
- Current experience managing and supporting core infrastructure services such as firewall system (Palo Alto preferred), DHCP, DNS services, directory services, database services (MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle etc.) and enterprise systems such as ERP, file and print services.
- Current working knowledge of and experience managing VOIP systems in midsize businesses.
- Current experience with managing and supporting cloud technologies, including Microsoft Azure, O365, SharePoint, AWS and other SAAS systems.
- Working knowledge of network and security management tools and techniques.
- Programming and scripting training and experience in Java, C++, PowerShell, CLI and UNIX shell scripting.
- Current experience working with project managers on major projects and knowledge of project management principles, techniques, and methods.
- Experience with knowledge base systems (KCS preferred).
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to respond to urgent situations appropriately to minimize business impacts and work under stress.
- Ability to solicit buy-ins and engage teamwork; strong coordination skills.
- Ability to map business requirements to technical requirements.
- Ability to coach junior staff for a high performing team.
- Ability to switch between tasks with competing priorities
- Ability to communicate effectively and confidently with others (verbally and in writing), explaining technical concepts/plans to project team in plain language, and to non-technical users.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to organize, prioritize workload, and manage time to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, self-motivated and as a member of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, students and service vendors.
- Ability to understand and maintain knowledge of industry trends and standards.
- Ability to write technical and user support documentation.
- Ability to run training for and presentation to a small group of technical or user audience.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to perform duties within established policies, practices and standards.
- Shift change or overtime outside of regular work days/hours will be required for scheduled system maintenance with advanced notices, and for emergency work on short notice.
- Ability to safely lift and carry various computer-related equipment exceeding 10 kg.
- Ability to work in environments with minor conditions such as noise, dust and cold.
Salary Range: $2,420.27- $2,714.97 Bi-Weekly (IT - Pay Grade F)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:00am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C117-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on September 11, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.