Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents and Supplemental Information Request (SIR) will not be considered.
Temporary, Full Time
Start Date: As Soon As Possible to March 31, 2020
The Supervisor, Accounting is responsible for the reconciliation of all general ledger accounts, including sub-ledger accounts, ensuring that entries are accurately recorded and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. This position contributes to the preparation of financial reporting and year-end audits, provides general accounting and treasury support functions, and acts as an internal resource for financial information queries. Additionally, this position participates in new initiatives or projects including financial systems and functional testing. This position assumes supervisory responsibility over designated staff and performs related duties as required.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Enrolment in the Professional Level of an accounting program (CGA, CMA, or CPA).
- Four (4) years of recent progressively senior accounting experience in general ledger, full cycle accounting and financial reporting, preferably in a broad public sector environment. Supervisory experience required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of general and fund accounting and of statutory and other regulations governing non-profit organizations and fiscal procedures.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency of MS Excel, Access, and Word software to compile, quantify and illustrate complex financial reports.
- Intermediate knowledge of enterprise computerized information systems used in financial and accounting applications.
Skills & Abilities
- Communicate effectively with various groups, both verbally and in writing.
- Work independently and as a team member.
- Exercise a high level of initiative and responsibility.
- Use tact and discretion to deal with or settle complex requests or complaints.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain sustained attention to detail with high level of accuracy.
- Management and leadership skills to direct a team to meet organizational goals, including strong skills in supervision and training.
- Effective problem-solving and analytical skills to identify, investigate and resolve reconciliation issues.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions and work with limited supervision.
- Interpret and apply College, government, agency, and departmental policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Possess organizational and time management skills in meeting deadlines and balancing competing priorities.
- Analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and reviews.
- Meet work performance standards set by the College.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to providing excellent customer service skills, responding to enquiries and providing information regarding financial processes and guidelines.
Salary Range: $2,057.81 - $2,370.44 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 26)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:45pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C166-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on October 22, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
*Additional Information Required: Please click here to download the Supplemental Information Request (SIR) and submit the completed form with your application. Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.*
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.