Permanent Full Time (37.5 hours per week)
As soon as possible
The Senior Systems Administrator, Servers & Storage, provides technical expertise in executing server, storage, and cross-specialty information technology projects and develops solutions accordingly. In support of day-to-day operations, this position evaluates, installs, and maintains operating systems and enterprise-class applications on designated servers and storage units. Additionally, this position provides third level technical support to end users and performs other related duties or projects as assigned.
This individual provides coaching and mentorship to junior team members, and participates in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance is consistent with College goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements.
Education & Experience
- Two (2) year diploma in computer systems technology, computing studies, or equivalent technology diploma.
- Completion of recognized industry certification(s) with emphasis on server/storage technologies (e.g., Microsoft, VMWare, Citrix, Linux)
- IT project management and ITIL certifications an asset (e.g., PMI’s CAPM).
- Over six (6) years of recent related experience in systems administration, primarily in areas of servers, IT storage, backup and network administration. Experience working on major projects as a key team member
- Two (2) years of experience providing third tier advanced level support in client-server environment.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
- Sound knowledge of the techniques, procedures and standards of computer server/storage operations.
- Experience implementing various IT projects utilizing project management principles, techniques, and methods.
- Knowledge and experience with server and desktop virtualization technologies
- Knowledge and experience with integrating on premise systems/infrastructure with cloud systems/infrastructure, and deploying cloud infrastructure.
- Knowledge and experience with server and desktop computer operating systems, in particular current vSphere server, Microsoft Windows Server and Desktop platforms, Redhat Linux, and Apple OSX environments.
- Knowledge and experience designing and maintaining SAN and backup infrastructure.
- Knowledge and experience deploying high availability/fault tolerant infrastructure and systems for the purpose of business continuity and disaster recovery planning.
- Knowledge and experience deploying identity management systems.
- Experience in providing advanced troubleshooting, creating builds, and configuring servers; handling the day-to-day management of the server operating system, file structure, and directory services.
- Working knowledge of the techniques, procedures and standards of computer programming; training and experience in Java or C++; experience in scripting language such as Powershell and Unix shell scripts.
- Experience in providing client and end user technical support.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to respond to urgent situations appropriately to minimize business impacts and work under stress.
- Ability to solicit buy-ins and engage team work
- Ability to map business requirements to technical requirements
- Ability to coach junior staff for a high performing team
- Attention to details
- Ability to communicate effectively with others (verbally and in writing); including ability to effectively explain technical concepts to non-technical users.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to organize, prioritize workload, and manage time to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, self-motivated, and work as a member of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, students and service vendors.
- Ability to understand and maintain knowledge of industry trends and standards.
- Ability to write technical and user support documentation.
- Ability to run training for and presentation to small group of technical or user audience.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to perform duties within established policies, practices and standards.
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines or on short notice to mitigate emergencies during day off
- Shift change may be required for maintenance scheduled on weekends
- Ability to safely lift and carry various computer related equipment exceeding 10 kg.
- Ability to work in environments with minor conditions such as noise, dust and cold.
Salary Range: $2,728.64 - $3,110.66 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade H)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 37.5 hours of work per week between the hours of 8:30am - 5:00pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: October 17, 2017
Competition No.: C180-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.