Start Date: As soon as possible
The Senior RES Information Assistant is the supervisor and senior cashier for the front-line staff in the Registrar & Enrolment Services Office, including Financial Assistance and Information Service. This position provides front counter services, handling inquiries from prospective and current students and the general public regarding registration, pre-requisites, admissions, graduation, financial aid and awards, and college and government policies and procedures. This position verifies information on a variety of student forms, ensuring the information provided is correct, as well as performs data input. The Senior RES Information Assistant is the primary liaison person to the front counter staff by collecting and disseminating information and by representing the front-line staff on various College committees.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 plus up to one year post-secondary education in communication, business, or related areas. Education to include training in computerized software applications and integrated information systems.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Two (2) years of recent related experience supporting a front counter unit providing student services, preferably within a Registrar’s Office.
- Supervisory experience an asset.
- Knowledge of the rules, regulations and policies governing the admissions and financial aid in post-secondary institutions an asset.
- Knowledge of prerequisites, transfer credit and advance standing practices, preferred.
- Basic computer skills, including word processing (MS Word), familiarity with a large student records database (preferably Banner).
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, including the demonstrated ability to communicate in a diverse, multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to set priorities when encountering conflicting demands.
- Ability to effectively work with and provide information, assistance and related services to the public, faculty, staff, and students in a tactful, pleasant and helpful manner.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and enter data accurately.
- Ability to process cash, credit, etc. accurately.
- Ability to work well under pressure, dealing with a constant flow of enquiries, requiring endurance and stamina and the need to stay focussed over prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to deal with challenging or difficult situations.
- Ability to use a transcript printer, calculator, cash register and Interac machine.
- Experience working with computer applications such as word-processing, spreadsheet, and database software in a Windows environment.
- Experience with maintaining databases and office systems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various groups in order to obtain and convey information about policies, procedures and forms completion.
- Confidentiality in working with student information and files.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to deal with irate or anxious students.
Salary Range: $1,656 - $1,884.18 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 20)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:15am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: August 10, 2017
Competition No.: C142-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.