Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents will not be considered.
Temporary, Full Time
Dates: As Soon As Possible to March 31, 2021
Under the supervision of the Development Manager, the Senior Database Administrator develops and maintains the database related designs, procedures and standards, and operating production and non-production environments. As a member of a project team, the incumbent participates and supports systems in accordance with software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes and procedures, guidelines, and best industry practices. Primarily involved with technical teams, staff, faculty, and student communities, the Senior Database Administrator also provides technical support, assistance, coaching and mentoring to these stakeholders. Incumbent may also be asked to perform other duties as required.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Computing Science required from a recognized institution.
- Additional and current Database Administration training or certifications.
- Minimum six (6) years of recent in database development and administration, including a minimum of 3 years’ recent experience as the primary database administrator responsible for maintaining a large enterprise resource program. Candidates from medium to large organizations are preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Comprehensive knowledge of database administration and design standards, practices and tools within Oracle, Microsoft SQL, and MySQL environments.
- Comprehensive knowledge of operating systems including scripting in both Unix-based and Windows environments.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and written, in English.
- Excel at explaining and demonstrating complex business and technical concepts to all audiences.
- Ability to liaise with technical groups and assist them in the definition and articulation of their requirements.
- Ability to “think outside the box”, re-evaluate, and follow database management practices.
- Provide advice and support to users on the use and operation of application systems.
- Organize and manage time to meet deadlines.
- Effectively contribute to the overall improvement of department services and operations, team spirit, and morale.
- Work both independently and as a member of a committee or team.
- Work harmoniously with others.
- Aptitude to learn new methodologies, tools and technologies for requirement analysis and development.
- Exhibit high level of work ethics and professionalism within a business environment.
- Perform duties to meet established policies, practices and standards.
Salary Range: $2,908.30- $3,339.45 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade I)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 5:00pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C029-19
Closing Date: Until Filled
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.