Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume and cover) will not be considered.
Temporary, Full Time
Dates: October 1, 2019 – March 31, 2020
Under the general supervision of the Chair, Applied Research Centre (ARC) the Research Grants and Contracts Officer tracks and monitors the portfolio of internal and external research grants. This position tracks and monitors financial and narrative reporting as required by the College, external funders, and per the Federal Granting Councils’ Memoranda of Understanding. Maintains current and historical financial records on the research projects, communicates and liaises with staff at the College to ensure that projects are meeting grant award conditions and funder expectations, and liaises as required with external funding officials on mailers related to financial administration and reporting are also key components of the position. The Research Grants and Contracts Officer is responsible for maintaining all records related to expenses incurred on internal and external research grants, documentation, promotional materials, research dissemination, travel expenses, performance metrics database and procurement cards. In addition the Research Grants and Contracts Officer provides administrative support to the Applied Research Centre and the Scholarly Activity Steering Committee.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Two year diploma in Business Administration, Financial Management, Business Accounting or a related field.
- Minimum three (3) years of recent related experience working in a windows environment using spreadsheet software and integrated financial database, preferably in a post-secondary institution.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience with budget coordination, reporting (both financial and narrative) and research administration.
- Familiarity with the college administration and accounting systems (Workday), as well as familiarity with the College’s research policies an asset.
- Knowledge of the Tri-Council regulations and guidelines and knowledge of external financial and grant management principles an asset.
- Familiarity with accepted accounting and financial management practices and procedures.
- Experience with business operations, processes and computer systems.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to create, develop and maintain complex spreadsheets and prepare related analyses.
- Strong research, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimum guidance and in accordance with relevant policies and procedures.
- Ability to manage competing projects, effectively organizing and prioritizing workload. High level of attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English in a clear and concise manner, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work under strict time constraints and ability to prepare accurate and timely budget and financial information within targeted deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of individuals and groups, including all members of the College as well as the external community.
- Ability to apply a variety of policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills with the capacity to work collaboratively with others.
Salary Range: $1,826.56 - $2,093.82 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 22)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C128-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on October 22, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.